• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advanced task killer

I somewhat disagree with the recent push to discount Task Killer effectiveness. Definitely the article is true, Android is great about memory management. However, I've found in my experience that Android doesn't always choose to close tasks that I would have chosen, and thus, I prefer to retain some control. For instance, I went a week without a reset or using task killer, and found that when memory got low, Android would force close tasks that I considered important: Messaging, Gmail, and Email. I'd reopen them and be bombarded by incoming emails and sms. Why these tasks should be force-closed before, say, the Paypal app that I almost never use, I don't know. I had not used the Paypal app at all, but it retained it's position while important services were turned off.

So in short, using a task killer keeps more memory free, resulting in fewer forced-close issues with Apps that I prefer to keep in memory.

...and let the flaming begin. ;)

Upvote 0
Android would force close tasks that I considered important: Messaging, Gmail, and Email. I'd reopen them and be bombarded by incoming emails and sms. Why these tasks should be force-closed before, say, the Paypal app that I almost never use, I don't know. I had not used the Paypal app at all, but it retained it's position while important services were turned off.

A force-close is different than ending an service or dumping a cached app. If those services are truly force-closing, it would be a safe bet that you have other issues. You are correct to assume that those services should not be stopping on their own. Using a task killer to remedy the situation is only treating the symptoms, not the cause. Like taking pain killers when you have a broken leg ... you'll feel better but you'll need to keep taking the pills until you deal with the leg.

So in short, using a task killer keeps more memory free, resulting in fewer forced-close issues with Apps that I prefer to keep in memory.

"Keeping more memory free" is not an efficient use of memory.

Hang on a minute while i put on my Vegas showgirl outfit and find my copy of the Weathergirls "It's raining men" CD ... okay, ready to "flame". ;)

Upvote 0
I somewhat disagree with the recent push to discount Task Killer effectiveness. Definitely the article is true, Android is great about memory management. However, I've found in my experience that Android doesn't always choose to close tasks that I would have chosen, and thus, I prefer to retain some control. For instance, I went a week without a reset or using task killer, and found that when memory got low, Android would force close tasks that I considered important: Messaging, Gmail, and Email. I'd reopen them and be bombarded by incoming emails and sms. Why these tasks should be force-closed before, say, the Paypal app that I almost never use, I don't know. I had not used the Paypal app at all, but it retained it's position while important services were turned off.

If you don't use the PayPal app, I would suggest deleting it. I think there was another post somewhere that warned that transactions using the PP app resulted in duplicate transactions.

My emails, gmails, and SMS are never closed by Android. And I don't have any TKs installed.

As previously mentioned, you may have another app (or several apps) that may be causing the FC probs.

Start with uninstalling the TK. You can always reinstall it later if you really think it helps. But uninstalling it won't hurt you.

I would highly recommend installing Watchdog Lite and use that to help diagnose any misbehaving apps. It will also alert you to apps using too much CPU. And you can use WD as a TK whenever you need to.

Apps using too much CPU are what cause battery drains and lag. Not inactive apps sitting idly in memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones