• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

advice from previous iPhone owners, now with a Desire

It's easy to disable it showing facebook friends, or even filter it to only show friends who have a phone number (either that you've entered or from their profile).

I've found this isn't true. The facebook sync is extremely annoying. Yeah you can stop them appearing in your 'people' app but they still appear when you click the central 'phone' button. This is with the contact sync switched off in the accounts and sync setting. The only way I found I could stop facebook friends appearing under 'phone' was to totally disable facebook sync.

Upvote 0
This is a case of 2 different things having the same abbreviation.

In the iphone, the 4g refers to the fact that it will be the 4th version or 'g'eneration of the phone.

For cell (mobile) phones in the US, they are currently rolling out the 4th 'g'eneration of cell networks which will be faster. Apparently there are 2 competing standards atm, one is called wimax & I forget the name of the other.

So, when people refer to the iphone 4g, the are talking phone gens, not network gens. However, nobody knows whether the iphone 4g will also support cell 4g, but I doubt it. I don't think AT&T (exclusive iphone carrier) has a 4g cell net yet (but I am not positive).

Incidentally, HTC has just launched (or are about to) launch a cell 4g phone called the Evo.

The other 4G technology is called LTE...found this great little diagram on phandroid that explains it in a fun way: http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wimax-lte-4g-mobile-broadband-shootout.jpg

In the US, Sprint already has its 4G network rolled out for the release of the EVO. I believe Verizon will have its 4G network rolled out later this year.
Verizon 4G LTE network speeds reach 6MB/s peak, 1.5MB/s average : Obsessable Technology News

Reactions: Arctic-Winds
Upvote 0
iPhone has a better keyboard, where you can type without paying attention and get a better accuracy rate, with the desire you have to pay attention

also when browsing the iPhone tends to pick up on clicking on them tiny links somehow and the desire doesn't connect when you want to press, infuriating but iPhone works!

everything else the desire WINS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones