• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Advice Needed - Bloatware, Speed

Ethere

Jul 29, 2010
York, PA
Just a quick question from a new person to Android....

There are 2 things I'd love to do to my phone:

1) Speed it up. I take it a lag fix is needed for this, but I am not sure exactly which "fix" I should use. Voodoo lag fix? OCLF? From what I've read, the Voodoo lag fix is the one that completely replaces the file system, and is the one I'm leaning toward, but I would like some opinions on this.

2) Remove the bloat that AT&T thinks we need on our phones.

I still want to be able to receive normal OTA updates sent out by AT&T and Samsung when they come out. (Froyo when it's released officially)

I don't need anything special like rooting, or sideloading that I see talked about here all the time. Like I said, I'm new to Android, but I do feel comfortable working with my phone and making changes if need be.

I know, these questions have been answered all over the place, but most of the responses I've found are from the first month the phone came out. Now that the phone has been out for a couple months now, I just want to see everyone's opinions on this now. Thanks for all your input.

1. Launcherpro. It is free, it replaces the touch wiz UI allowing for complete customization of your UI, you really get to set it up the way you want. You can also use it to "speed up" certain things, like app launches, scrolling and stuff. It is 100% safe, legal and wont void your warrenty. You can also hide the shortcuts to the crapware.

2.Titanium Backup: Not only does it back up your apps and stuff, but you can use it to "freeze" the bloatware apps and keep them from autolaunching and gobbling up your battery and data.

It is unadvised to actually delete the stock apps. There has been many problems reported by people after doing so. But with the above methods you can easily pretend they arent there without risking any problems later.

Lag "fixes" are a mixed story, some work, some dont, some are safer than others. None are 100% garanteed safe. Using any of them would technically void your warrenty. That being said, personally, i'd prefer voodoo over the OCLF. Try launcherpro and crank up the speed setting a bit and see if that makes a difference before you decide to go hacking.

Upvote 0
1) Speed it up. I take it a lag fix is needed for this, but I am not sure exactly which "fix" I should use. Voodoo lag fix? OCLF? From what I've read, the Voodoo lag fix is the one that completely replaces the file system, and is the one I'm leaning toward, but I would like some opinions on this.

Lagfix - CapFAQ

2) Remove the bloat that AT&T thinks we need on our phones.

Uninstalling stock apps - CapFAQ

I still want to be able to receive normal OTA updates sent out by AT&T and Samsung when they come out. (Froyo when it's released officially)

Then you definitely don't want to hack it up.

I know, these questions have been answered all over the place, but most of the responses I've found are from the first month the phone came out. Now that the phone has been out for a couple months now, I just want to see everyone's opinions on this now. Thanks for all your input.

Keep using the Captivate FAQ. Most questions are answered there and it's kept updated.

Reactions: Ethere
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones