• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After Froyo Update EVO doesnt sleep.

Just a note that if the device is plugged into the charger, it will always show as awake. This was driving me nuts earlier since I knew it was fixed but nothing would allow it to go to sleep. Finally unplugging it from charging allowed the phone to go to sleep. It's probably documented somewhere, but just to try to save someone else the frustration.

thats not true. i just tested this. and my awake/up times gap gained

Upvote 0
You might experiment with setting Talk to not auto-start and just turn off background data (under Settings -> Accounts & sync) for a little while to see if your battery starts to improve right away.

Also might want to try the radio+PRL thing mentioned in the the How to fix.. thread.

Also - make sure you can reliably get to each one of your media files on your SD card. A screwed up directory there can cause no end of grief.

If you try those things and your battery is draining fast, you've either got an app horribly misconfigured, a rogue app, or a bad battery coming on, in my opinion.

Thanks. I'll try the steps when I get a chance to go through the thread. I have already turned off Talk though and I cannot turn off background data since I need email access 24-7 for work purposes. I know it is a long thread though, and im on vacation.

I don't think it is a rogue app at this point, but I can't be sure of course. I do have only a handfull of apps installed a this point. When I view battery use, it shows Android System as using the most. I can tell you that simply reading this thread and responding on wifi has used about 5% of my battery. Which is far more than pre Froyo.

Upvote 0
anyone else having alarm issues...i.e. alarm goes off and the snooze/dismiss no longer pops up?

Just a suggestion - perhaps go to Settings -> Applications -> All (tab), then tap on Clock (HTC Corporation), then Clear data.

You may have to also Force stop - I'm just not sure.

Expect to have set up things including what you access via the widget if you're using that.

If that works, then you might find that there's other hidden issues with some system data being incorrect, so, as always, kindly consider http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
So I've done three hard resets and experimented with this sleep issue. At this point, the only app I have installed is the updated google maps app. Previously, before my last hard reset, I was running ebay, Facebook, and my backup. I believe that it was caused by Facebook. Even doing a hard reset and then immediately installing the latest Facebook app caused my phone to stop sleeping. I am going to slowly reinstall each app one by one in hopes of narrowing it down for sure. Hope this helps others.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well this problem is back for me. I did not update Facebook nor even log into it. It worked fine for a few days and then started not sleeping again. In addition, my internet speeds are garbage on 3G, so I'm going to look into getting it replaced. Hopefully it will have 2.1 on it and I can root and then move to 2.2. I've been avoiding this as I don't want a crappy refurb with light leakage issues, but this just isn't working out. Oh how I wish I would've stayed with 2.1...

EDIT-I talked to Sprint and my internet issue may or may not be resolved but his only suggestion in fixing the up time=awake time issue was to sign out of Talk. I explained that I had already done that so we ordered a replacement phone. They are on indefinite backorder though and he thought it would be weeks before I got another one. Hope it's not a refurb.

Upvote 0
Awake time is still identical to up time, even with Fresh ROM and a custom kernel. fresh doesn't even have Facebook installed, so I guess that rules that out. Cell standby is still the highest battery user, according to the battery use screen. This is very frustrating. Since I'm rooted now, I may flash back to 2.1 again to see if I still have the problem.

Upvote 0
What a drag!

Keep us posted.

Just for my own info - did you wipe data from recovery prior to installing the custom rom?

Have you tried aLogcat to see if you can find anything going on rogue? Use settings to force a scrolling pause (the log does get quite chatty). You can also email a paused log to yourself to make it easier to study on your PC - I do that often.

Reactions: asaberan
Upvote 0
Yes, I have wiped several times, both before and after flashing a custom ROM. Since I wasn't rooted before, I downgraded to 2.1 which wiped it. Then I upgraded to Fresh ROM, wiped and then wiped again. I first used unrevoked3, then simpleroot, so I've wiped several times.

I'll give aLogcat a shot, thanks. I WILL get this solved.

Upvote 0
Just asking again - you've done the radio trick? (And PRL update!)

And - admitting in advance these are prolly dumb questions - let's leave no stones unturned.

Wifi - you've tried Wifi Analyzer and made sure you're having no channel conflicts with other nets (that could be causing wifi radio goofiness translating to funny up time)?

You've set Wireless&networks -> Mobile networks -> Enable always-on mobile data (UNchecked) --- if you get to a fringy area, your phone will start cycling trying for a meaningless lock for mobile data - apparently even with Mobile data checked _off_ . Maybe if you're getting bounced between towers, that'll do it as well - I've no idea, wish I knew - but - I'm pretty sure the app to check your tower coverage called Antennas (free, Market) __might__ give you some insight on that. I've used that app a little, it's a little confusing to me - but others are expert in it and may help interpret what you see there.

I know that radio weirdness can cause all sort of subtle awake issues.

Also - on that mail thing - if you're using the stock Mail app - because it polls, and therefore initiates - doesn't that continue to get polled mail updates even with background data off? I'm clueless about EAS these days (it's been years and I was never adept at it anyway) - and I can't say with certainty that what I just said is entirely true- I just think so.

Anyway - just ponderings until your next report.

Upvote 0
No, I have not done the radio trick, but I did update my PRL. I have this issue with both WiFi on and off, so I don't think that is the problem. In addition, I have WiFi at work and at home, so I don't think it's a channel issue. I need to have mobile data on all the time as I need 24-7 email for work. To answer your last question, I don't believe that EAS is true push, I have it set to poll every 10 minutes during peak time and every 30 minutes during off peak time.

The phone does stay awake while it is charging. Just to clarify, I am not referring to awake as being Screen On, I am referring to awake time in the battery menu under settings.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I now have a Sprint Airave, so I have full coverage at home with a very fast data connection, so it isn't low cell signal that is killing my battery or keeping 100% awake time. In addition, I have 5 bars at work, so that shouldn't be the issue there either.

On Saturday, my battery ran out for the first time since I've had my Evo (launch day) so I think the problem is getting worse. I used it for maybe 30 minutes and 10 minutes of talk time the whole day. I unplugged it around 9 a.m. and it died about 1 a.m.

Upvote 0
Well, with alogcat I've found that I definitely have a 4G/wimax radio issue. I am using Fresh ROM and updated the wimax radio twice, but this is an error message I get, repeatedly, when my 4G widget is off. The message goes away when I turn it on, but I still cannot connect to 4G where I had coverage previously.

I found a thread on XDA mentioning this error message that I'm going to go through now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• snap20100830_092528.jpg
    snap20100830_092528.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
Damn it. I had VirusROM working flawlessly for 3 days, and now the problem is back. I'm quite sure at this point that turning 4g on while doing a quick wireless tether has caused the problem. Alogcat is showing the same error message as shown above. so something is definitely wrong with my 4g radio turning off. I used the sense widget, so I may wipe and try the xda widget I saw on there for 4g. The saga continues...

Upvote 0
Welp, wiped again and loaded Fresh 3.2 and removed 4G widget altogether, low and behold the damn thing isn't sleeping again after a couple of days of doing so. So much for it being a 4G issue. May look into a replacement again. This is getting aggravating. I don't think that Sprint is gonna give me a new phone if I call them and say, "My phone won't sleep."

The only app that I've loaded each time was Google Maps. In fact, this post-wipe, I didn't even start the damn program, so that can't be it.

Based on no one else responding to this thread, I'm guessing nobody else is having this issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones