• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After Kitkat, can't download anything from store

toneman1

Sep 20, 2011
After I upgraded to Kitkat, I cannot download anything from the google play store. Whenever I try to download any apps, the blue bar you get to show download progress just keeps going on and on forever and never gets anywhere; never shows any progress. Anybody else have this trouble?

Yes a Factory Data Reset is a very big deal. You will loose all apps that you added, your contacts, and all susomizations. If you are a game player you may also loose your progress status.

A Factory Data Reset is needed after any major system upgrade like Jelly Bean to Kit Kat for just about everyone. It is something that would be planned for and done as soon as possible after the upgrade.

I backup my contacts on Google all the time and after a Factory Data Reset they are reinstalled.

I reinstall almost all of my 250 apps by downloading them from Play Store. (Two of them are reapplied from my backup.)

I do not play games so I don't have to deal with that problem.

There is no guarantee that this will solve your problem. What a Factory Data Reset does is to remove conflicts that you might not be aware of. An example is that one or two apps in 250 might not download again becaus they are not compatible with Kit Kat. What does that tell you?

So ... A Factory Data Reset is not something to be entered into lightly ... it should be part of your upgrade processing every time you do a major system upgrade.

(I have so far met two people who never installed an app that did not come with their phone. It seems highly likely that a Factory Data Reset is not needed there.)

On a device that had a Factory Data Reeset done after the last upgrade ... a great diagnostic is to run in safe mode disabling all apps you loaded without uninstalling them. If the problem stops it is cuaused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Reactions: toneman1
Upvote 0
From the Verizon website ...

Preferred method

1. Press and hold the Power button.
  2. Select and hold Power off.
  3. From the Reboot to safe mode screen, select OK.
    linote.gif
    Allow several minutes for the device to power off and restart into Safe Mode.
    linote.gif
    Upon reboot, Safe Mode appears in the lower left.
Alternate method

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    1. Press and hold the Power button.
    2. Select Power off.
    3. Select OK.
  2. Press and hold the Power button until the Motorola logo appears then release.
  3. With the Motorola logo onscreen, press and hold the Volume down key.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe Mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.
    linote.gif
    This may take up to a minute or more.
... Thom

Upvote 0
I have to disagree here Thom. If this were the case and manufacturers wanted you to FDR they would make the OTA's destructible. Of course this is not the case.

Agreed some systems may need some work but if we were to judge it by how many come here to complain or get advice as compared to how many successfully do the upgrade, I am guessing you get my point here.

A FDR is really a last resort. Most issues can be tracked down in other ways. I did a FDR just to see the results, all I can say is yuck. My one piece of advice is unless the device is unusable try and let it settle out for a week or two. Updates, steeing customization and other general settling in may resolve your issues

Upvote 0
Thank you for your input, Tanware. I tried safe mode; still have the unable to download problem. It's not my signal, I can get on the Internet just fine. I am thinking at this point to call Verizon and see if they can fix it over the phone, or bring my phone in to a Brick store. Other than that, my only other option is to try downgrading back to Jelly bean, if that's even possible?

Upvote 0
I think the word you are overlooking is ""major" ... like ICS to JB or JB to KK.

... Thom

While I'll agree first off with Android as my being a newbie, even the Majors are non destructible upgrades and usually well noted when not. The ones I do not trust as much is when they release their binaries to skip the OTA as full flash rather than a non destructible side load.

It was mostly found with KK that you need to log off your and delete the email account used for play store and then read the account. This usually restores being able to use the play store. My Nexus 10 with KitKat locked up and by googleing the issue found this to be the fix.

Upvote 0
Reactions: toneman1
Upvote 0
Try these steps from Google Play support. https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/4592924?hl=en&ref_topic=3365284
It directly addresses the problem you are having.

Thank you! that worked. I went through all the steps, and the one about reinstalling the play store updates worked! I can download apps again. For anybody else who might have this problem, the step says to uninstall updates on the Play Store app, then go back to the factory version of the app, then the app should reinstall new updates automatically after a few minutes. My phone didn't automatically reinstall the new updates, I had to reboot my phone fist, but it still worked!

Reactions: aaronmach1
Upvote 0
i am having same exact issue!

Try re-installing the Google play store updates, it worked for me. Go into settings, then apps, then all apps, then the Google Play Store app. Click on uninstall updates, after you confirm you want to uninstall all updates, it will ask you if you want to go back to the factory version of the app; click on yes. Then go to where you had the Play Store app, if it's on your home page or on the app screens. Where the Play Store app was, it should be a grey block, with a message saying downloading. If it returns to normal within 10 minutes, fine; if not, turn your phone off and on; it should be normal after this. Then try to download an app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones