• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After Rooting, Will spoofing \root\ file Model # make phone eligible on another network?

NullByte

Lurker
Nov 18, 2016
Interesting question i have. I have a LG G3 LS990 from Sprint. That i have one Boost Mobile.

I purchased a Sprint LG G4. Now, that phone is currently NOT "eligible" with Boost Mobile. They love the term over Compatible. As in, i think they are there just being a-holes about it. Lets continue.

The two have extremely close similarities. Lets say i change and spoof the G4 Model Number to show it is a G3. Going to "swap phones" under Boost Mobile. Will this work by either simplicity or a more deeper change and edit be required?

I do not know the depth of the reason why 1 model can be supported or not supported by other carriers within the same GSM and CDMA, or LTE Bands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones