• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compatible, rootable, built to last. Is it even possible, anymore? I'm just not seeing it.

I hear the Moto E5 Plus (not the Moto E4 Plus I use and suggested last time) has TWRP & Root, no customs yet tho
You sure about that?

Before i even looked at it, i already have negative connotations with the Motorola name, and lenovo even more for the screwjob they did to ensure the mxpe died faster than anything i have ever spent that much money on. Given how many ps3's ive also gone through, i suspect sony took notes on how to make such piss poor products.

Specs wise, lg g4 to the e5 is also still a massive downgrade. It still needs to be able to actually run pokemon go, as a reminder. And it's still a sealed battery, so it's only going to have like ten minutes of life before recharge is required. Lenovo also doesn't sell them unlocked - only carrier locked. I didn't see any mention of an sd slot on them, either. Or a headphone jack. I fail to see how the e5 even remotely meets the requirements.

Upvote 0
You sure about that?

Before i even looked at it, i already have negative connotations with the Motorola name, and lenovo even more for the screwjob they did to ensure the mxpe died faster than anything i have ever spent that much money on. Given how many ps3's ive also gone through, i suspect sony took notes on how to make such piss poor products.

Specs wise, lg g4 to the e5 is also still a massive downgrade. It still needs to be able to actually run pokemon go, as a reminder. And it's still a sealed battery, so it's only going to have like ten minutes of life before recharge is required. Lenovo also doesn't sell them unlocked - only carrier locked. I didn't see any mention of an sd slot on them, either. Or a headphone jack. I fail to see how the e5 even remotely meets the requirements.

You're not seeing everything with the negativity you've preset on the matter but that's OK, have a nice day..

Upvote 0
You're not seeing everything with the negativity you've preset on the matter but that's OK, have a nice day..
Motorola, and these phone makers nowadays, deserve every bit of it.

No phone with a sealed battery I've ever had, in the half of my time on this earth, has ever even given a third of its advertised battery life. Not new, not refurbished, not ever. And will happily degrade to 10% or less of said advertised battery within six months. Yet carriers want to enforce two year contracts on these things. All i will get of buying an e5 plus is a phone that is useless in six months, max, and 18 months to grumble and gripe to leave for another carrier as fast as possible.

I've already had several recent Motorola phones, and they've all been trash. The moto g took 10 hours to do a full charge regardless of charger. The moto e wouldn't even let me install pokemon go, and would force quit games and messaging apps like discord, while i was actively using them. The moto x pure? Moto refused to warranty the phone and when lenovo took over, they boxed me out of being able to service the phone myself or even get a quote for repair. Nevermind that said phone never even got a quarter of the advertised battery and had a knack of destroying cables.

I'm beyond frustrated, and your posting sounds like you're defending these kinds of business practices.

Upvote 0

No phone with a sealed battery I've ever had, in the half of my time on this earth, has ever even given a third of its advertised battery life. Not new, not refurbished, not ever. And will happily degrade to 10% or less of said advertised battery within six months. Yet carriers want to enforce two year contracts on these things. All i will get of buying an e5 plus is a phone that is useless in six months, max, and 18 months to grumble and gripe to leave for another carrier as fast as possible.

I've already had several recent Motorola phones, and they've all been trash. The moto g took 10 hours to do a full charge regardless of charger. The moto e wouldn't even let me install pokemon go, and would force quit games and messaging apps like discord, while i was actively using them. The moto x pure? Moto refused to warranty the phone and when lenovo took over, they boxed me out of being able to service the phone myself or even get a quote for repair. Nevermind that said phone never even got a quarter of the advertised battery and had a knack of destroying cables.

I'm beyond frustrated, and your posting sounds like you're defending these kinds of business practices.

People's experiences differ regarding sealed batteries. For example, I had a Galaxy Tab P6200 last 7 years on it's original battery. My Tab 4 I still currently use, it's like 3 years old sealed battery and will still happily last the entire day. So I don't really see the battery being sealed as something that's not built to last.

Granted, I don't own a Moto device ever since the original flip Razr, so I cannot say anything about their quality. And as for phones I've always had either an S series or Note from Samsung, which pretty much can take any app you throw at them. I've also had good warranty claiming experience in Samsung, but the difference being I'm in Asia, where they have Samsung Care Centers set up much like Apple Care Centers where you just walk in, and if you have your proper documentation they'll just accept your device and check it out.

Upvote 0

Not exactly, but:
- Not all carriers require contracts..
- You've probably never had a battery as big as these, technology is certainly improving greatly.

And your posting has consistently been incessant whining about everything that's presented for solutions. So instead of trying an option/solution, you make everything a bigger problem than it needs to be. 😎
#ThinkPositive 😇
#GetOverYourself 😉
#QuitCherDamnBellyAchin' 😂😂

Upvote 0
Not exactly, but:
- Not all carriers require contracts..
- You've probably never had a battery as big as these, technology is certainly improving greatly.

And your posting has consistently been incessant whining about everything that's presented for solutions. So instead of trying an option/solution, you make everything a bigger problem than it needs to be. 😎
#ThinkPositive 😇
#GetOverYourself 😉
#QuitCherDamnBellyAchin' 😂😂
S3 + ZL 6500mAh battery + custom rom == 6d20h52m on a single charge.
Note 3 on stock battery == 4 hours per charge.
Note 3 + ZL 10k mAh battery == 36h on a single charge
HTC phone with stock 3000mAh battery == 75 minutes battery life. Couldn't even stick with it 24 hours because it was hell bent on censoring my vernacular with a forced autocorrect that wouldn't turn off regardless of the proposed setting.
Xperia T2 Ultra == 70 minutes, and the stock charger would fail to provide enough power for it to charge if I dared actually used the phone while charging.
Moto G battery life == 80 minutes battery life. 10 hours to charge.
Moto E battery life == 2h battery life. Couldn't install pokemon go. would force close the apps and games I was using/playing respectively.
MXPE battery life == 60 minutes per charge. Not even kidding.
LG G4 (stock) battery life == 2h30m according to GSAM. But guess what? I can't even start rooting it because nobody will touch the stupid thing.

It's past experience, dude.
Having spent that much money for (several) phones that basically just break or don't even last a month, let alone a year or two, it's made me convinced that the only people that ever have a phone like that last are the dudes with office jobs that never leave range of an outlet or wifi hotspot, ever. My job is not even remotely like that. My days off aren't even like that.

As it is, I already have to carry a cinder block sized brick in one pocket, yet another in a series of usb cables to break in another pocket, and then the phone in a third pocket. Yet if I had a phone where I could (and got) the extended battery upgrade, the whole thing would take one pocket. Saving two pockets I could use instead to carry other essentials and wanted items I'd rather be carrying. For me to even have a tablet as some suggest, I'd have to have a backpack to lug it around, and a second battery brick. And by my estimation, spend another $50 USD for wall and car chargers with enough quick charge ports.

Motorola (now lenovo) went out of its way to burn its bridges with me. Samsung, as of the S6, has already decided that it doesn't give a damn about enthusiasts, and as of the Note 7, the lives and well being of its users.

Upvote 0
Update... in no small part thanks to bank drastically raising my credit limit and extra overtime I'd been able to snag for hours, I actually ordered... both.
V20 arrived. US996. USA country code. Already got its bootloader unlocked. Now just gotta get it rooted appropriately, get TWRP working on it (where I'm stuck on at the moment), and maybe look up some custom roms for it.
Note 4 N910w8 should be here by next Monday. :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Haven't received the Note yet. But for the v20, i did get the bootloader unlocked no problem. What i am having difficulty with, is getting twrp installed. It looks like it should go through and adb/fastboot report success. But it just will not boot into twrp recovery. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong, as even checking against a couple of different walkthroughs on the subject, they can't seem to agree on a way to boot into recovery mode to get started.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Open terminal (usually right click) from where your twrp.img is at and try this:

fastboot boot twrp.img

Now while in TWRP, use device select 'flash image' & flash the twrp.img to recovery. Now use twrp options to Reboot Recovery. Flashing Magisk helps to get TWRP to stick too, sometimes
It doesn't. It would act like it does, but the phone doesn't actually load the file.

And now, it won't even go into fastboot anymore.

Attempting adb reboot recovery while the phone is on, just gets me a broken android and "no command" error. From here it refuses to respond to anything, and I basically have to yank the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones