• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need a phone worth having

Well you do have a lot of very unrealistic expectations so it's not surprising you're so pissed off about not finding the perfect phone that can actually match up with your list of absolute requirements. You consider your 8 yr-old V20 was that phone but at the same time are ignoring the indisputable fact that the smartphone market is a constantly evolving (or devolving in your opinion) industry.
So buying a new smartphone typically involves accepting change, or don't, with the understanding that does involve a lot of consequences. Since you refuse to compromise and adapt, you can continue to waste your own time and efforts trying to find a matching V20 equivalent in a new model but otherwise for your own mental health it might be best to just stop using smartphones. Your already seething with so much hate that another new phone is just going to add to that.

This.

Are you on that ledge now?

Yes I'm here to tick you off too.
You're quite happy to show how upset and ticked off you are to the rest of us.

I agree with svim.
I acknowledge you are a well known and knowledgeable member here.

I started with a GS2, a Note 3, then an X Style / Pure, 3 other Motorola, 1 Nokia, and 2 Xiaomi.

I'm thrilled with the screen, performance, battery life most have 5000 mah now, inboard storage, hi res audio etc.

Buy a time machine.

Upvote 0
I refuse to acknowledge or justify that with a response.

Looking critically at what I can get.

*If* I could find one again, the Samsung A42 5g is about the only thing that has all of T-Mobile's 5G bands (didn't look at the LTE ones yet). Still, feels really wrong to spend $400+tax, which used to he what a Galaxy S3 cost, to get a phone now with a 720p screen, and an explosive battery. Samsung's warranty on phones is also infamously slow for turnaround. Last time in the early days of Android, they wanted a two month turnaround for warranty service. And of course, an explosive battery guaranteed to kill me.

Motorola? Yeah, no. After the mxpe, I refuse to give them the satisfaction.

Apple isn't even in the consideration. IOS might be fine; the hardware it's on, is junk. And god forbid you don't buy the new one the day it launches because then Tim cook will personally gimp your unit to 1% of its performance to "encourage" you to check out the new model.

The Pixel is already more than I want to spend on any sealed battery phone. The points in its favor are that the 6 series has a comprehensive LTE and 5g band coverage. And that XDA already had root guides for the thing before it even officially came out. No SD and no headphones jack, and the thing feels like a wish dot com knockoff you'd give to a kid for $5, let alone a phone that costs $600(!).

Of what I can get domestically, that just leaves... The one plus nord n20. Not had a one plus yet; didn't even want to consider them for how quickly they settled, against their braggart marketing. For that, I'm looking at $300 + $120 (+tax) for the geek squad plan on it. Normally I would abhor such a plan on say a TV or something actually built well. But since this is a sealed battery phone, I already expect the thing to be degraded in a month of this godforsaken heat. As such, I fully expect to be popping in to best buy to have it repaired at least three or four times during the two years the plan buys me.

Of the phones I've seen online as well... The Xiaomi is almost cheap enough to treat like an impulse buy, long as it stays under $200 USD. The oukitel mentioned before, is about the only thing rugged and capacious enough to actually last. The lack of headphones jack, is still a problem.

Upvote 0
The Pixel 6a is legitimately one of the best phones I've ever used, and it's a solid deal at $450.

Pixels will always have phenomenal developer support and be easy to root though - and, they're one of precious few phones which actually get more and better features over time. Everyone else wants you to buy the latest shiny every year; Google just wants you using their services so many of the software features which launch in the latest shiny will also be made available to the older phones.

But, of course, it doesn't have a headphone jack, expandable storage, or a user-replaceable battery.

I really wish that there were more options for phones like what you're seeking, but there unfortunately aren't.

Upvote 0
The Pixel 6a is legitimately one of the best phones I've ever used, and it's a solid deal at $450.

Pixels will always have phenomenal developer support and be easy to root though - and, they're one of precious few phones which actually get more and better features over time. Everyone else wants you to buy the latest shiny every year; Google just wants you using their services so many of the software features which launch in the latest shiny will also be made available to the older phones.

But, of course, it doesn't have a headphone jack, expandable storage, or a user-replaceable battery.

I really wish that there were more options for phones like what you're seeking, but there unfortunately aren't.
Can I Root, a Nord n20? Because eff paying $600 for a pixel 6.

Upvote 0
The problem today is finding anything that meets one's desire at a reasonable investment without making concessions. It doesn't matter what market you are searching, they are all the same. Make it attractive and add something to make it marketable while spending as little as possible in manufacture with built in obsolescence. We are all victims of greed. I wish you all the luck in the world finding what you have to settle with. I also wish I had something to suggest but I don't. Our only other recourse is to stop being a consumer.

Upvote 0
Sealed phones are fine, they say. They've gotten a lot better, they say.

I haven't even left for work yet and it's already lost 10% battery.
How the hell did I lose two whole hours of screen on time in one charge cycle?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-25-14-22-46-69_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-25-14-22-46-69_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2022-08-26-06-12-53-53_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-26-06-12-53-53_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
How the hell did I lose two whole hours of screen on time in one charge cycle?!
You've only been monitoring the battery for 2 days, and I'm guessing 1 or 2 charging cycles. The average will change drastically the first couple times because there isn't much data.

Wait a couple weeks so the app has more data to analyze, then it will display a more accurate average.

Upvote 0
You've only been monitoring the battery for 2 days, and I'm guessing 1 or 2 charging cycles. The average will change drastically the first couple times because there isn't much data.

Wait a couple weeks so the app has more data to analyze, then it will display a more accurate average.
One week in and I finally have a car charger that supports its type of quick charging. Seriously, the heck is a super vooch?

Either way, I'm not impressed. Neither with the battery life nor the so-called fast charging that's supposed to be the solution.

Of course all that quickness goes out the window because *gasp* I need to still use the phone while it's charging.

And another point of frustration. Have a case to protect the thing, and of course it's incompatible with those magnetic charging cables. The dumb tips won't fit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-31-12-42-43-28_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-12-42-43-28_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-12-42-22-39_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-12-42-22-39_d53d19f38c0484c2e839fe9bc491563a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

Yeah, this phone's been a complete disappointment.

It says it has eight cores, but is demonstrably slower and more clunky than the v20 I used to use.

In this summer, and now that I'm back into a new school year, it's just flat out refused to charge when it gets too hot for its liking. Of course the measure at which it gets too hot is entirely arbitrary and random. Given the nature of my work, having a phone refuse to hold a charge when I'm on duty is a metaphorical death sentence.

The utter inability to root has been a sticking point, and making me progressively more miserable using it. Also I made a point to buy it unlocked so I wouldn't be on contract, but ti still forces me to do system updates regardless. I thought that behavior was saved for locked phones under a carrier contract? What an absolute load of garbage.

It also has this aggravating tendency where it'll put an exclamation point over the signal bars. When it does that, it doesn't matter how strong the signal is; I can't do any data related activity at all. I've already tried replacing the SIM card twice with T-Mobile to make no difference.

To that end, that should qualify me to get the phone replaced. The problem is, because the market is so universally terrible, I can't find anything that looks or feels even remotely capable of being worth using. Until such time Removable and upgradable batteries are a thing on phones again, I also have zero motivation to spend any more money than strictly necessary on a phone ever again.

Upvote 0
Remember when phones actually packed even more features than last year's model? when an upgrade was an upgrade? When UI was decent to look at instead of a poor copy of Tandy Deskmate? When we had actual choice and variety over the illusion of choice today?

I remember. I was there. 2010. We had more phone options, keyboard sliders, sliding media controls, candybars, flips, smartphones like the N95, more than two Mobile OSs such as WebOS, Symbian, Meego, and even phones that fit inside your pocket? yeah. i miss those days. Today it's three names which exist, all looking the same, with the only unique options being the Galaxy Z Flip or Fold, the rest relying on name recognition, such as Nokia, but only being that in name only and not fooling anyone with more than two brain cells left, and no features. today feature removals and gimmicks such as USB C which nobody even asked for, exist, but we do the same things today with phones that we did in 2010, yet the 2010 phones feel more like the upgrades. Too bad carriers decided against the will of the people to kill off the 3g networks and non voLTE networks and force anyone such as myself to get something they hate, when they already had something they loved, to make the world even more homogenized and samey.

I'm sick of it. We don't have choice, but we depend on the smartphone, so we are forced to buy whether we want to or not. We cannot vote with our wallet unless we want to ostracize ourselves from society overall. you can't even apply for a job without a smartphone today.

There is literally no reason for WebOS and Meego to not exist. Meego is open source for crying out loud as it's Linux. WebOS got open sourced after HP killed it. why is it only Apple or Android? Competition breeds innovation, but corporate interests hae reduced the options and therefore cause this stagnation and there seems to be no way out.

Is it so hard to find a phone with a sliding keyboard, a skeuomorphic UI, and VoLTE support while still offering a removable battery and headphone jack? I find it totally laughable that phone makers cite 'helping the planet' by not including a charging brick, but go out of there way to promote e-waste by sealing the battery inside where you're more likely to break the phone trying to even open it, or actively oppose right to repair like Apple does, by for example, disabling Touch ID if you replace the screen. The most 'green' tech is tech that survives, not tech that's disposable. There is literally zero reason to not expect the 30 year lifespan out of something, that was once the standard. We used to demand things built to last. When did companies decide that satisfying consumer demand no longer matters? I really don't understand it. We have the power, they seem to disregard it. They only care what shareholders want, when they should care what WE want. That worked fine for decades until something changed overnight in the 80s.

Typed this on a vintage Dell Latitude D6500, from 2010, which runs Q4OS, which has a desktop environment that's a fork of KDE 3 with all the period-correct apps. But still supported in the modern era. This laptop only set me back $50 at a vendor mall, but has far more features than a modern laptop. It even has NFC and an sd card slot, and a DVD writer. When I am pushed by futurists to a world I hate and want no part in, I fight back by finding vintage solutions to each and all problems, often which feel like upgrades in comparison. While they want a world in which we 'own nothing and be happy' I will own everything, and they will be pissed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones