• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root All In One:Basics, Rooting, Roms/Kernels + More! (9/4/11)

monsterenergy22

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
sosquad.net
The purpose of this thread is to give the basics of all things root when it comes to the SGT 10.1.

Warning: I am not responsible for any damage you may do! Use at your own risk!
Always backup to your PC any and all files that you want to keep.

Part 1 will cover the basics of the bootloader mode, downloading mode, and the all important recovery mode. This includes ClockWork Mod Recovery.

Part 2 will cover how to root the Google I/O version & Retail WiFi version. It will also cover how to unroot your tab if you wish to do so.

Part 3 will list currently available Roms and kernels.(I will do my best to keep this section updated as frequently as possible.)

Part 4 will list recommended tips and tricks to get the most out of your tab.

Credit for the layout and content goes to Lorddeff07 of XDA. All credit for the roms/kernels/rooting instructions/etc goes to the various devs and forum members of XDA for putting it all together.

Part 1(Basics)

Bootloader Mode

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Hold down the power + volume down button(closest to the power button) until you see two icons appear then let go.
  3. Left icon (box) is recovery and right icon (Android robot) is Downloading Mode
  4. Use Vol. down to navigate then Vol. up to select.

DOWNLOADING MODE

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Hold down the power + volume down button(closest to the power button) until you see two icons appear then let go.
  3. Use Vol. down to navigate then Vol. up to select when you have highlighted the android robot icon.

RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn the device off.
  3. Use Vol. down to navigate then Vol. up to select when you have highlighted the box icon.

This is what you use to install ROMs/KERNELs and even themes for your specific roms when they become available. Clockwork Mod Recvoery will replace the stock recovery on your device which allows you install unsigned ROMs/Kernels/Updates/etc. When in recovery mode you can also back up whatever current ROM you have on your device so if you install a new ROM and something goes wrong you could always use recovery to restore. Whenever you install a new ROM it's advised to always wipe the device using cwm to ensure a more stable install. Install new ROMS will also mean you will be losing all the apps on your device. It will look like you have a brand new device after the install unless its an update.zip for whatever rom you are currently on and the developer of that rom supports it.

Don't worry about losing your apps as you can always re-download them once you sync your device with your google account. However, the state of those apps and your settings will be lost, so I strongly suggest that you use an app like Titanium Backup and always make a back up of your apps before flashing any new ROMs. TiBu will also allow you to backup any apps that you have downloaded and installed outside of the market.

Clockwork Mod Recovery Menu

- Reboot system now (Self explanatory )
- Apply update from SDcard. (when you connect your device to your computer it will show up as tablet. The SDcard that cwm refers to is simply your device storage. Always make sure to copy install.zips to the root directory of your tablet storage.) You use this when applying an update for a specific ROM if that is what the ROM developer says.
- Wipe Data/ Factory Reset You should always do this before you install a new ROM or if you are having minor issues with your device.
- Wipe cache partition Think of this as the lite version of whats above :). If you do above though it doesn't hurt to do this too.
- Install zip from SDcard Use this to install new ROMs.
- Back up and Restore
- Mounts and Storage use this to connect your device to your computer when in recovery mode. It is also possible to transfer files to your device while in this mode.
- Advanced What you are interested in here is something called dalvik cache, you want to wipe this too before installing any new ROM
- Power off

Instructions
Refer to this thread for downloads and instructions on flashing Clockwork Mod Recovery. Sections 1-4 in the thread will guide you on that.

NVFLASH

Nvflash is a low level formatting and imaging tool. If you don't have a working recovery, or have broken the actual boot-loader on your tablet, this is the tool you will need to turn to. For those with unlocked bootloaders (and no fastboot capability), its the best way to root your device. Nvflash is pretty much NVida's version of say an ODIN program but done through cmd prompt. It can save a tablet if one is soft/semi-bricked or maybe full-bricked. To use nvFlash you must first put your tablet in APX mode (think of it as a way to allow you use commands on your computer to control your tablet).

Official CM Terminology Wiki for Clarification

Upvote 0
Part 2 (Rooting)

Google I/O version & Retail WiFi version
[GTP7510]

Necessary Downloads

DONT WIPE during any part of this process.

1. Install Samsung drivers or download Samsung Kies and install on your computer which wil install the drivers.
  2. Run Odin.exe, choose PDA and point it to recovery.md5 file.
  3. Connect your tab via usb to your computer while in Downloading mode
  4. Press start in Odin on your computer after the connection has been established.
  5. Run, wait, then reboot.
  6. After the reboot, connect your tab to your computer in usb storage mode (make sure usb debugging is off in tab settings)
  7. Copy the root exploit (Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip) to the root of the sdcard
  8. Turn off the tab.
  9. Reboot into Recovery mode.
  10. Select install zip from SDcard.
  11. Install the root.zip.
  12. Reboot into android.
Your tablet is now rooted.

You can also refer to this well made vieo showing the whole procedure.
‪How to Root Galaxy Tab 10.1! [NEW]‬‏ - YouTube

RETAIL 3G/4G VERSION
[GTP7500]

1. Download this Rooting-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10.1.zip file to your tablet and move it to the root directory.
  2. Reboot the tab and go into the stock recovery mode and apply the Rooting-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10.1.zip.
  3. You are now rooted.
  4. Reboot
  5. Download Rom Manager from the market.
  6. Flash ClockworkMod from Rom Manager.

Unrooting + Stock Recovery

1. Using CWM Flash the stock rom for your device (See DL link in Part 3) . This unroots your device and basically makes it like a brand new tablet.
  2. Download this Stock Recovery Odin File.
  3. Flash using Odin as you would have done if you used odin to flash CWM. This removes CWM and replaces it with the stock recovery.
  4. Done, your device is exactly how it was when you picked it up.

Upvote 0
Part 3 (Roms + Kernels)

Must be rooted and have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed in order to flash any custom Rom or kernel.

I will update this section with links to all the existing and stable ROMs and kernels as the become available.

Stock Roms

Stock US Retail WiFi w/o Touchwiz

Stock Europe with TouchWiz (7/24/11)
Credit: mughalgxt

Stock 3.1 HMJ37.UEKM7 with TouchWiz (7/27/11)
Credit: Randy T, @pershoot, @supercurio

Custom Roms

3.1|WiFi|TASK650's KME V2 (9/4/11)
Credit: task650

3.1|WiFi|StarBurst ROM (9/1/11)
Credit: PhantomHacker, Calkulin , DocRambone, t3rebyte, Poitee

3.1|WiFi|Bonsai ROM v0.3.0 (8/05/11)
Credit: t3rabyte, Calkulin

3.1|WiFi|PreRooted | Blazar-TW ROM Alpha 2 (8/01/11)
Credit: poitee

3.1|WiFi|Touchwiz UX|DEODEXED (7/22/11)
Credit: SellswordShev, pershoot, mughalgxt

3.1|WiFi|Touchwiz UX [UPDATE: New WiFi Base Rom] (7/14/11)
Credit: LevitateJay

Kernels

3.1|WiFi|OC 1.4GHZ| 2.6.36.4 | (9/4/11)
Credit: Pershoot

3.1|WiFi|OC1.6GHZ|Voltage Control|Voodoo Sound|CIFS-NTFS| (7/28/11)
Credit: Poitee

Upvote 0
Monster, not sure if this should get a seperate thread, but can you explain how to get the 10.1 to acknowledge ad-hoc wifi networks (from a rooted Android)? I've tried swapping out the wpa_supplicant found at XDA but it doesn't seem to be working. This could also be a nice addition to the AT Root section. Thanks

Edit: Got it working. Just had to change permissions which I did with the Terminal, no need for ADB. Still think this info would be great to add. The beginning sections are a little dated since there wasn't root when they made them. The Root Explorer method is far easier. Biggest things are to ensure airplane mode is on and to change permissions afterwards as posted on page 3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1123638

Upvote 0
Monster, not sure if this should get a seperate thread, but can you explain how to get the 10.1 to acknowledge ad-hoc wifi networks (from a rooted Android)? I've tried swapping out the wpa_supplicant found at XDA but it doesn't seem to be working. This could also be a nice addition to the AT Root section. Thanks

Edit: Got it working. Just had to change permissions which I did with the Terminal, no need for ADB. Still think this info would be great to add. The beginning sections are a little dated since there wasn't root when they made them. The Root Explorer method is far easier. Biggest things are to ensure airplane mode is on and to change permissions afterwards as posted on page 3.
Ad-hoc WiFi - xda-developers

My last reserved post is for tips and tricks for the SGT 10.1. Still working on that section though.

Upvote 0
Hi m8,

thank you for ur guide.

Is there any guides for rooting and CWM for 3g version (p7500 model)?

Many thanks

Use the Stock Recovery and install the root zip from the attachment. Then once it is rooted, install Rom Manager from the market and you can flash Clockwork from that.

Attachments

• Rooting-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10.1.zip
    275.8 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

Ad-hoc WiFi - xda-developers

If you want to write a quide, I will add it to the tips and tricks post above.

Upvote 0

Unrooting + Stock Recovery

1. Using CWM Flash the stock rom for your device (See DL link in Part 3) . This unroots your device and basically makes it like a brand new tablet.
  2. Download this Stock Recovery Odin File.
  3. Flash using Odin as you would have done if you used odin to flash CWM. This removes CWM and replaces it with the stock recovery.
  4. Done, your device is exactly how it was when you picked it up.

Re the 'Stock Recovery' Odin File, is that actually region specific? I have a 5 day old UK/Europe Wifi Tab with the latest Touchwiz, would this enable me to get that back?

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon 4G 32 gig version model SCH-I905. I can get in and apparently successfully reprogram the ROM with the file recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5 using ODIN. I can connect using the drivers, see the TABLET icon in the directory listing and copy files to the (what appears to be) root directory. But, when I try to boot into recovery, I see the Android character (green) and the open box. But, when I select the open box and select it, I just get a blank screen and it stays blank.

Is there a different ROM code for the SCH-i905?? Any help appreciated. Really really really want ROOT.

Upvote 0
Hello dude my name it's cristian argotti, i boutgh a galaxy tab 10.1 from amazon to verizon i do some odin actualizacion FOR TO ERASE VERIZON CHIP RECOGNICION y became usefull it dont star the OS it became in a loop and go off went battery display appears an reboot again. HOW I CAN SAVE IT AND BECAME USEFULL AGAIN and start the OS rooted? I DONT HAVE BACKUP. i willing to paid for help i just need somebody to help me i can work as a remote hands. NEWBIE IN GALAXY WORLD.

I can log on to ODIN BASE AND THE ODIN RECOGNIZE THE TABLE.

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon 4G 32 gig version model SCH-I905. I can get in and apparently successfully reprogram the ROM with the file recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5 using ODIN. I can connect using the drivers, see the TABLET icon in the directory listing and copy files to the (what appears to be) root directory. But, when I try to boot into recovery, I see the Android character (green) and the open box. But, when I select the open box and select it, I just get a blank screen and it stays blank.

Is there a different ROM code for the SCH-i905?? Any help appreciated. Really really really want ROOT.

same happend to me but entire OS it's desapear the booloader just star went gone to download mode the "BOX MODE " letme in a black screen and nothing happends. DO YOU FOUND SOMETHING TO DO? any recomendation?

Upvote 0
Hi;
I just bought galaxy tab 10.1 p7500 as my first tab.
I've tried to root my tab as guidance here and seems worked. Thanks.
The only issue is when I'm trying to flash the clockword mode through rom manager then the following message appear 'an error occured while attemping to run previlleged command'.
Perhaps someone having idea to fix this error.
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones