• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Sci/Fi-Fantasy

Lots of good stuff mentioned here! Many I've read, many I haven't, some I haven't heard of. Like NA, my to-read list is long and getting longer.

I haven't seen anyone mention Roger Zelazny. I enjoy his books, the Amber series was particularly good.

The Chronicles of Amber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never heard of him. Quickly read the wiki, sounds pretty darn interesting.

I'm on the last book of the Dresden Files (more are coming though). After 15 books I'm finally gonna start something new here soon

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I've been on a reading kick. I finished Ex-Heroes and quickly read books 2 and 3 in the series. They are fun, easy reads... I mean who doesn't like Superheroes and a zombie apocalypse all rolled into one.

Before that I read Prince of Thorns, it was another quick read. Written in the fist person you don't run into the chapters with characters you don't really like (i.e., Sansa from A Song of Ice and Fire). I'll be getting book 2 shortly.

I finished A Shadow in Summer last week and am working on book 2 in the quartet right now. Abraham writes well, but I've come to realize that that there's not a whole lot of action in his stories (not always a bad thing). I enjoy the books, but I think I'm going back to finish the Broken Empire series and pick up King of Thorns next.

I can't remember, has anyone mentioned Ready Player One? I read it last year and really enjoyed it. Being born in the early 70s, I was able to associate with most of the pop-culture references and clues in the book. The book is an homage to geekdom, and I highly recommend it. It's near future SciFi, a quick and easy read...plus it is being made into a movie the last I heard.

Upvote 0
ok so i bought "the third kingdom" from goodkind and i loved it.....though the enormous hardcover made it seem like a very long book......NOPE!!!!! the fonts were big and it was a very quick read......oh well

anyways overall a very good story so far and it is typical goodkind writing.

Sequel to omen machine?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
anybody read the "Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"?

he has the last book in the trilogy out. i read the first one in the series and i thought it was ok.....definitely like his older stuff.

just curious if anybody is gonna read the The Last Dark: The climax of the entire Thomas Covenant Chronicles (Last Chronicles of Thomas Cove)

Hrm... I've read the other books, can't say I enjoyed them as much as the first Chronicles, but considering... I may read it.

I may wait for the hardcover to arrive at my local library; I have the first two trilogies in electronic form, but not the last.

With a series like this, I like to read the books in sequence.

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seems like the most appropriate place for this. I just finished Ringworld Engineers. I liked it even more than the first book. I'm not sure if I should read Ringworld's Throne, or just skip to Ringworld's Children. The reviews for Throne on Amazon are horrible.

I just started on Prelude to Foundation. It's long, and I'm a slow reader, so I'll probably be reading it for a while (I don't know how some of you finish books so quickly!).

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seems like the most appropriate place for this. I just finished Ringworld Engineers. I liked it even more than the first book. I'm not sure if I should read Ringworld's Throne, or just skip to Ringworld's Children. The reviews for Throne on Amazon are horrible.

I just started on Prelude to Foundation. It's long, and I'm a slow reader, so I'll probably be reading it for a while (I don't know how some of you finish books so quickly!).

Don't worry about it! This was/is a great thread!

Speaking of sci-fi/fantasy, I'm going to comic con next week and hope to get into panels with some of my favorite authors: Patrick Rothfuss, Jim butcher, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks, among others. George rr Martin will be there but his panels will be packed I bet.

I'm giddy like a little school girl (no offense to little school girls of course)

Upvote 0

i have not read any of larry nivens work. not sure if i want to or not......at least not right now. i'm more into fantasy then sci-fi at the moment. but my tastes change so who knows......lol

one thing though is that i never trust reviews, good or bad, on amazon. you can read an excerpt of the book on amazon, if you really want to check it out. but that is up to you.

right now i'm reading The Way of Kings which is a very long book, but is actually very good so far.

Don't worry about it! This was/is a great thread!

Speaking of sci-fi/fantasy, I'm going to comic con next week and hope to get into panels with some of my favorite authors: Patrick Rothfuss, Jim butcher, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks, among others. George rr Martin will be there but his panels will be packed I bet.

I'm giddy like a little school girl (no offense to little school girls of course)
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

if you see a cute girl wearing a jedi robe, say hi to my friend Arecely for me;)

and also ask mr. Rothfuss when his third book is coming out;)

Upvote 0
i have not read any of larry nivens work. not sure if i want to or not......at least not right now. i'm more into fantasy then sci-fi at the moment. but my tastes change so who knows......lol

one thing though is that i never trust reviews, good or bad, on amazon. you can read an excerpt of the book on amazon, if you really want to check it out. but that is up to you.

right now i'm reading The Way of Kings which is a very long book, but is actually very good so far.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

if you see a cute girl wearing a jedi robe, say hi to my friend Arecely for me;)

and also ask mr. Rothfuss when his third book is coming out;)

Brandon Sanderson is flippin amazing! Haven't started that series yet, but soon...

And Patrick is killing me! You know he has a book coming out in Oct right? It's the story of the check that lives under the University. The Slow Regard of Silent Things I believe it is called.

Which I am going to crush when it comes out, lol

Hopefully 3 is SOOOOOOON

Upvote 0
Brandon Sanderson is flippin amazing! Haven't started that series yet, but soon...

And Patrick is killing me! You know he has a book coming out in Oct right? It's the story of the check that lives under the University. The Slow Regard of Silent Things I believe it is called.

Which I am going to crush when it comes out, lol

Hopefully 3 is SOOOOOOON

Yep definitely gonna read that......I hope he has news on his third book though and not just talk about"slow things" book.

Upvote 0
Yep definitely gonna read that......I hope he had news on his third book though and just talk about"slow things" book.

You ever check out his blog? Dudes a trip.
Plus he said it wouldn't slow things down for book 3. It's supposed to be in possible final revision... But we'll see. Must have that!

Upvote 0
You ever check out his blog? Dudes a trip.
Plus he said it wouldn't slow things down for book 3. It's supposed to be in possible final revision... But we'll see. Must have that!

Yeah I have on and off......it seems like a lot of his posts now are dedicated to his charities.........though very generous I hope he can finish his revisions soon......lol

On another note.......Terry Goodkind is coming out with another Richard and Khalan novel called Severed Souls which is the 14th novel in his Sword of Truth series......Aug 5th is the release date.....looking forward to reading for sure.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Yeah I have on and off......it seems like a lot of his posts now are dedicated to his charities.........though very generous I hope he can finish his revisions soon......lol

On another note.......Terry Goodkind is coming out with another Richard and Khalan novel called Severed Souls which is the 14th novel in his Sword of Truth series......Aug 5th is the release date.....looking forward to reading for sure.

I hate to admit it, but went to reread the series before I read the Confessor prequel book (forgot title), and then start omen machine. I got stuck on book 6, the one where magic disappears. I realized that as much as I LOVE goodkind, his books start slow. Plus my head wasn't in it, though I usually have zero issues rereading series/books. That was around a year ago, I think I started the Dresden series instead (which is amazing)

That will make the third new Richard kahlan book?
His site lists them as book 13, 14 of sword of truth series... So less of new series and more of a continuation?

Upvote 0
I hate to admit it, but went to reread the series before I read the Confessor prequel book (forgot title), and then start omen machine. I got stuck on book 6, the one where magic disappears. I realized that as much as I LOVE goodkind, his books start slow. Plus my head wasn't in it, though I usually have zero issues rereading series/books. That was around a year ago, I think I started the Dresden series instead (which is amazing)

That will make the third new Richard kahlan book?
His site lists them as book 13, 14 of sword of truth series... So less of new series and more of a continuation?

It started with the omen machine and then third kingdom, and now the severed souls.....these are side books and im not sure if they are considered part of the sword of truth series or not......i could be wrong.

Upvote 0
It started with the omen machine and then third kingdom, and now the severed souls.....these are side books and im not sure if they are considered part of the sword of truth series or not......i could be wrong.

I took it as a new series, hence the A Richard and Kahlan book. But saw it referenced as book 13,etc... That may have been on Amazon though

Upvote 0
hey Night Angel..........so i was at Barnes and Noble today and i saw the coolest thing, they had a sampler of the "The Way of Shadows" graphic novel by Brent Weeks.

it is due out on 10/7/2014......i'm not much of a graphic novel reader, but i may have to check this out.

I'm not either, but I did see on his blog that Barnes us giving them away for a few days. I'm gonna try to score one and get it signed at the Con. He will be at the Orbits (?) booth.

Upvote 0
I'm not either, but I did see on his blog that Barnes us giving them away for a few days. I'm gonna try to score one and get it signed at the Con. He will be at the Orbits (?) booth.

Didn't see the comic anywhere, but I did meet Brent Weeks, Pat Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, and a couple other names that seemed familiar. Will have to look up for was in that panel and the signing afterwards

Upvote 0
Didn't see the comic anywhere, but I did meet Brent Weeks, Pat Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, and a couple other names that seemed familiar. Will have to look up for was in that panel and the signing afterwards

did rothfuss give any hints on the his third novel?

i just hope he does not go by the way george rr martin went:
nsf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones