• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost every time I get Skyped, I need to restart phone for mic to work

My elderly father has a habit of Skyping me almost every day and every day, we connect with him unable to hear me. So I restart the phone and Skype him back, day after day...and it finally got me into some trouble with work today on account of my needing to stay logged into their server, so I'm hoping to get this figured out, if possible.

I don't have any apps that have taken charge of my mic (as far as I know), Skype shows everything functioning correctly (the mute button isn't depressed or anything), any idea what might be causing this?

Sorry if this has been answered, I might not have worded my Google search well enough.

I don't Skype all that much but i think your problem might be related to answering calls then who is calling. See if you can get someone else to call you on Skype using a similar device as your dad. You didn't say if he was using an Android phone or a PC (or Mac or iPad, for that matter).

If you can repeat the problem then we can look at an app related issue. If it works and it's only incoming calls from your dad, is there a chance he mutes his speaker or some how silences the call when he places it? I hate to blame the elderly, but seeing as I am approaching my golden years (like a mile-wide meteor headed for Jurassic Earth ;) ) it's quite possible he's inadvertently doing something that doesn't happen when he answers incoming calls.

Upvote 0
Ah good point! He's Skyping me from his home computer, I'll have someone else Skype me from theirs...in fact, if I don't learn anything from that, I'll do it again next time it doesn't work with Dad.
A little common sense goes a long way, thanks for having enough for the both of us! I was thinking it likely that this was enough of a common problem that there'd be a quick solution...I'll do a little more on my end here and see what I can't figure out. Thanks old timer =] (sorry, couldn't help it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones