• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Am I an idiot?? (possible help for others re: low storage on SD card)

cmotion

Jan 24, 2010
OK, so I have been quite perplexed as to how my SD card was filling up so quickly. I would try out a ROM for a while, make a Nand backup, have about three of those on the phone at a time, always making a copy onto my computer. And yet it seemed like every time I deleted old Nands and ROMs from my phone, my space continued to get smaller and smaller, until today I was down to 900 and some odd megabytes. I don't have that much music or other media stuff on my phone, so I plugged my phone in, went through and deleted more music, videos, etc. off of my phone. Turns out, while I had my phone mounted (I use a Mac), and I dragged files from the phone into the trash can in the dock-- it wasn't actually deleting the files from my phone, but merely putting them in the "Trash" folder on my SD card. So I went through using Astro and deleted everything in there.... AAAAAAND I'm back up to 5ish gigs. Haha anyway, not sure if anyone else might have made the same mistake, or if I completely outted myself as a NEWB!! Whew, what a relief though :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones