• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

amazon appstore notifications

TooCrooked

Lurker
Mar 27, 2011
i have amazon appstore v2.4.0 on my android phone. i constantly have a notification icon in my statusbar for an update to the appstore (not apps downloaded through the appstore)

i have disabled ALL notifications for the amazon appstore. yet i still get appstore update notifications.

i do not want these notifications. i don't mind that when i open the app, it nags me about updating. fine. but when i clear my statusbar and seconds later i have the same notification, that pisses me off.

therefore:

without uninstalling the application, does anyone know how i can prevent these update notifications from appearing in my statusbar?

is there any special application that i can install that supresses another application's ability to put stuff in the notification bar?

or is there any other way anyone knows of to stop these notifications since amazon feels that their software should not give me control over notifications like every other piece of software that is properly written!?

i've had very bad experiences with getting ANY type of help on this forum to date. i really hope this question breaks that trend!

You have an ancient version.

aaaaannnnnntttttt. wrong.

just because it's not the most recent version number doesn't mean it's "ancient".

2.3 was released at the VERY end of march

2.4 was obviously some time in april (at the earliest). the last time i updated my phone, i got 2.4. that was on may 13th. today is the 22nd, barely more than a week later.

Disabling notifications was added months ago

which is exactly why im having a problem now. disabled notifications should work in v2.4 that was released at least sometime in april, which is less than "months ago".

and like i said, i already disabled notifications. if you think i need to update to be able to disable them, then you obviously didn't bother to read my OP. i added some pictures for you, btw.

so, to anyone with an ounce of common sense/technical prowess, can you help me with my OP!? my luck with this forum continues to be poor... :\

Attachments

• 2012-05-22_22-38-07.jpg
    2012-05-22_22-38-07.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 83
  • 2012-05-22_22-25-20.jpg
    2012-05-22_22-25-20.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Sorry for the poor details on timing of Amazon updates.

The first Amazon update that had the ability to disable notifications was broken and there was a subsequent update that actually fixed the ability to disable notifications.

Perhaps you have the first version that wasn't working?

Why not just update to 2.6.53 and try?

Upvote 0
because when i had 2.3 and i told it to stop notifications and they still came through and got frustrated, i upgraded to 2.4 and took the placebo pill thinking it would help.

it didn't. why would taking the placebo pill a second time be any different?

also, like you said, v2.2 let you disable notifications. it broke. i had 2.3 and still got them. took the placebo pill and got 2.4. still broken. now it's time to fix the problem myself.

Upvote 0
because when i had 2.3 and i told it to stop notifications and they still came through and got frustrated, i upgraded to 2.4 and took the placebo pill thinking it would help.

it didn't. why would taking the placebo pill a second time be any different?

also, like you said, v2.2 let you disable notifications. it broke. i had 2.3 and still got them. took the placebo pill and got 2.4. still broken. now it's time to fix the problem myself.

Crap happens. Update and hope it works this time, maybe it was your particular model of phone that was giving them problems and they finally figured it out? You know what they say, "third time's a charm". If it doesn't, then return and update your question with said information.

If you want to change forums, please do, we really don't need your attitude around here.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand your aversion to simply updating to the latest version of the amazon appstore, but that is more than likely your only way of getting rid of the reoccurring notification. Based on the description you made, the appstore itself needs to be updated. Blocking the appstore from giving notifications for the apps in it will not block notifications for updates to the appstore itself. Since the Amazon appstore is not found in Google Play they have to have a way of notifying you. Problems with that should be taken up with Amazon.

So your options boil down to two. Deal with the notification or update the appstore. There would be three, but you said you didn't want to uninstall it.

As for the rest of your comments in this thread, there is no need to be rude or insulting to anyone on this forum. You have decided, for whatever reason, to go against the grain and not install an update for an application. The creator of that application provides the update so that you know when to get the latest version and so that things will run properly. Just because you have chosen to make things more complicated for yourself does not mean that anyone offering you help should be belittled or insulted for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones