• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "An Application Requires an Update" after Lollipop update

I just updated my Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F, UK) to Android Lollipop 5.0 using Kies 3

The update worked fine, except that now I have a notification saying:
"An Application Requires an Update. Requested by Google Play Services" When I tap it I am taken to the Play Store page for Google Play Services.

As far as I can tell all my apps (in Google Play, and in GALAXY Apps) are up to date, including Google Play Services.

I tried force stopping Google Play Services, uninstalling its updates, and then reinstalling it and rebooting the phone, which didn't help (It was the only thing I could think of)

Does anyone know what is causing this notification, and how I fix it?

"An Application Requires an Update. Requested by Google Play Services" When I tap it I am taken to the Play Store page for Google Play Services.

As far as I can tell all my apps (in Google Play, and in GALAXY Apps) are up to date, including Google Play Services.

I tried force stopping Google Play Services, uninstalling its updates, and then reinstalling it and rebooting the phone, which didn't help (It was the only thing I could think of)

I had the same notification error on my SM-G900V (verizon) when i updated, I rebooted a couple times and then it went away. I dont know if it solved itself or it still is an underlying problem.

Upvote 0

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Vectorspace! :)

"As far as I can tell all my apps (in Google Play, and in GALAXY Apps) are up to date, including Google Play Services."

As per #1.2 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide...

"Remember, not all app's/games on the Play Store may be compatible with your new firmware yet."

I wonder if this is causing your problem.

Upvote 0
ooh, but I have a problem with "needing to be" updated.

unless an app is broken, it does not need to "be updated".

updates generally are the developer playing around here and there, making small little changes that are immaterial to the design of the world, and fraught with breaking something that isn't broken.

none of the apps in my phone have been updated, ever....

KISS - if it ain't broke, don't play with it until it is broke.

I did have to allow Google Play Store to update once over the past year, it just simply did not want to "play house" anymore.

Upvote 0
My LG G2 (D800 - AT&T model) had the 5.0.2 Lollipop update waiting for me. I was looking forward to this as I wanted a better Smart Lock Screen. Seems they forgot it?

Anyhow, I have the same issue here. It is asking "An application requires an update" which only opens Play services.

When I click on Connected Apps, it says NONE.

Time to reboot.... and the cat comes back!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That obnoxious notification!!!

Problems beyond that:
Pandora would seize up
MightyText would tell me I needed to set it up
Gmail would not fully open
Google Contacts and Calendar would not sync
Smart Lock still AWOL
and too many others to remember!

ARGGH!

So, I did a factory reset (not before performing a backup - which also froze, so I rebooted and backed up that time to completion - and offloaded it to my PC). Having told Google to capture settings as well (no, the wireless settings were NOT restoreed), all apps came back, my home screens were restored as they were, so were the lock screens & shortcuts. Text history returned, too. YES!

So I had to reload ringtones and check all apps to see what had to be tweaked and what was fully restored, the phone returned to its snappy self, no mystery notifications appeared, and to top it off, Smart Lock appeared! Yeah, Smart Lock! Security without having to do the lock screen or password every time I pick up the darned phone!

Now, if they could only add WiFi locations to the Smart Lock instead of GPS locations....

So, my recommendation? Back up photos, 3rd party ringtones, do a factory reset, then reboot one more time and restore the backup. Go from there!

Reactions: LittleSablePt
Upvote 0
That obnoxious notification!!!
So, I did a factory reset (not before performing a backup - which also froze, so I rebooted and backed up that time to completion - and offloaded it to my PC). Having told Google to capture settings as well (no, the wireless settings were NOT restoreed), all apps came back, my home screens were restored as they were, so were the lock screens & shortcuts. Text history returned, too. YES!

So I had to reload ringtones and check all apps to see what had to be tweaked and what was fully restored, the phone returned to its snappy self, no mystery notifications appeared, and to top it off, Smart Lock appeared! Yeah, Smart Lock! Security without having to do the lock screen or password every time I pick up the darned phone!

Thank you for posting the first fix I have found in three days of fighting with my phone!!! May I please ask what you used for your backup that included the apps? Last backup my husband did required him to download all his apps again... "Ain't nobody got time for that!" ;)

Upvote 0
Couple of ways to do that.

Samsung Kies will backup the phone and all apps in its' present state.

* Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

I also use Super Backup for super fast, everyday/week backups when the notion strikes me, simply because it can forward your backups to your email inbox, to the cloud, in more ways than I will ever use. All w/o having to plugin a USB cable like you need to do with Kies.

* Super Backup : SMS & Contacts - Android Apps on Google Play

got a picture coming here in minute.....

SuperBackup.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, forgot to mention on SuperBackup, make sure you go thru the options and set the Default Storage to the extSDcard if you have one in your phone.

There is no point in making a backup and leaving it on the Internal Storage, as that will disappear if a FDR is required.

It will always create the 1st backup image on the extSDcard, and then it asks you if you want to forward that image to somewhere else? I always send one to my email inbox 2nd, and then elsewhere if I choose to.

And then, once in a while, I plug in the USB cord and copy everything off the SD card to my PC.

Upvote 0

I have the LgL90 and had the same problem but now is fixed
1. Backup everything on sd card
2.Reset to factory settings
Thanks @AZgl1500 ! I will def try that. Sadly My G2 doesn't have and SD card but I can just data link it to my PC.

3.After the mobil i
Thanks @AZgl1500 ! I will def try that. Sadly My G2 doesn't have and SD card but I can just data link it to my PC.

s upgraded all the problemss

Upvote 0

1.Backup your mobile
2.reset to factory settings
3.restore whatever you can backup
The problem is fixed

Upvote 0
While there might be benefits to a factory reset, I was able to resolve this (on my s4 i9505) by
1) rebooting
2) clicking on notification, which opened google play page
in then automatically started updating google play

For whatever reason, until I rebooted it would just take me to the google play app page, with the open button, and not recognize that Google Play itself needed updating.

No factory reset required in my case

Upvote 0
to fix the problem on my SM-G900V. setting: applications: application manager: Slide over to All, find Google play services Deactivate and uninstall updates, Reboot phone. Once you boot back up install updates and its GOLDEN

ditto, same thing here....

somehow, Google looses its' brain, and has to be neutered and restored.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones