• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help An update flaw?

Yesterday my phone was updated to Android 4.4.2

Today, while writing an email the phone rang and my screen changed to the incoming call screen saying it was from mom and pop. I answered the phone spoke with my mom then hung up and returned to my email that I was writing.

About a half hour later, I'm still writing the same email when the phone rings again. Again the incoming call screen comes up saying it is from mom and pop, so I answer it.

Only, it is not from mom and pop. It starts please do not hang up this is not a sales call. You have been referred to receive...

I hung up then the actual call number was displayed.

So, this pretty much means that there is a flaw either with the android update, perhaps Verizon wireless is the problem, or the actual callers have figured out how to disguise their incoming call as the previous caller.

If I have posted this in the wrong place please move it...

Actually, I am one of those people who doesn't feel compelled to answer the phone, so I could just let it ring then watch what happens.

If it happens again and it is from the same caller I am going to find out if an ordinary citizen can ask for a congressional investigation. I probably won't be happy with what Verizon decides to do.

Though if the caller happens to be with another phone provider Verizon might consider a congressional investigation warranted.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
Have you added your phone to the international do not call list? That has helped me prevent telemarketers from calling me. If not you should visit http://www.donotcall.gov/. I hope my post has helped you :)

Does it actually work? Well, you did say it helped you. I'll check it out, but it seems weird to have to add your number to a list to get it off a list?

Also, if they have disguised their incoming call number so that it initially shows up as the previous callers number they need to be put out of business.

If it happens again and the callers number is not from the same company then it means it is a Verizon problem, or the new update has a glitch, or both.

Upvote 0
If the scammer is offshore, they don't abide by the DNC. There is one pervasive group that spoofs numbers from all over. They play whack a mole with the authorities and do not abide by the DNC. It's a credit card scam. The caller is usually female and you can find info about this group by searching "Die, Heather, Die.

Some use robodiallers to call. Those are hard to avoid. I just don't answer. If you answer one of them, they know the number is live and sell it. You can look the number up at 800 Notes.

Change mom and pop to their phone number rather than mom and pop and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Does it actually work? Well, you did say it helped you. I'll check it out, but it seems weird to have to add your number to a list to get it off a list?

Also, if they have disguised their incoming call number so that it initially shows up as the previous callers number they need to be put out of business.

If it happens again and the callers number is not from the same company then it means it is a Verizon problem, or the new update has a glitch, or both.

It actually does work. I remember my first cell phone about 6 to 8 years ago and I kept getting those calls, well my Dad suggested I register my phone to this list, and the calls stopped.

As soon as I got a new number when I moved carriers the calls started again, added my name to the list, bam, no more calls :)

Upvote 0
My first noticeable beef with yesterday's upgrade is it changed the little battery symbol from green to white and I can't figure out how to get it back - or if it is even possible. Can't see the white as good without glasses...yes, I'm old :D

I'm sure there is a mod for it, though I haven't looked. Aside from that, you are stuck with white.:rolleeyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones