• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.1 and Sense are really buggy and incomplete...

chimpy

May 4, 2010
From using the DI the past couple weeks, I've noticed a lot of bugs and incomplete features that should be included in Android and Sense. The rundown is as follows...

Camera:

1) Sometimes the camera app closes when you press the button to take a picture. The picture isn't saved.

2) Sometimes when you scroll through pictures and wait for them to load up in a higher quality, they remain blurry.

Internet:

1) When using the bookmarks widget, when you click on a link, it sometimes opens the browser but does nothing.

2) You can't edit the options that you see when you press "menu". So I have to do a couple clicks to access my browsing history. Meanwhile, I rarely ever add bookmarks, and that's on the main panel.

3) When playing audio through the browser, you can't multitask or it stops playing.

Market:

1) No way to filter out foreign apps.

2) No way to uncheck what security measures you want to give an app.

3) Some apps have no options to make them stop closing. Like the Scoremobile one for example. Once you download it, it runs forever unless you uninstall it.

Phone:

1) When you get a new voicemail you must listen to it or else it'll never clear from your notification bar.

2) There's no way to quickly access the list of running services on the phone. So you must work your way through the menus to find them (annoying).

3) Cannot easily toggle between stock Android and Sense.

4) No percent left reader out of the box for the battery icon.

5) Cannot change the folder icons.

6) Cannot rearrange the app drawer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All these issues lie directly with the buggy software. I know some of you guys are going to come in here and say "well it's what you're doing with your phone"...nope. It's the software.

Also you guys need to stop lying about the battery life on this phone. It sucks. PERIOD.

None of the charging tricks work, ATK doesn't work, and turning off bluetooth/wifi/etc. really doesn't have any effect on the battery.

I have brightness at 10%, everything off, and the thing dies by 2pm on a normal day's use.

From using the DI the past couple weeks, I've noticed a lot of bugs and incomplete features that should be included in Android and Sense. The rundown is as follows...

Camera:

1) Sometimes the camera app closes when you press the button to take a picture. The picture isn't saved. Never had this happen

2) Sometimes when you scroll through pictures and wait for them to load up in a higher quality, they remain blurry. Mine always get clear, although sometime it takes a little while

Internet:

1) When using the bookmarks widget, when you click on a link, it sometimes opens the browser but does nothing.

2) You can't edit the options that you see when you press "menu". So I have to do a couple clicks to access my browsing history. Meanwhile, I rarely ever add bookmarks, and that's on the main panel.

3) When playing audio through the browser, you can't multitask or it stops playing.

Market:

3) Some apps have no options to make them stop closing. Like the Scoremobile one for example. Once you download it, it runs forever unless you uninstall it. Guess thats what a task killer is for. Personally i dont have any apps like this

Phone:

1) When you get a new voicemail you must listen to it or else it'll never clear from your notification bar.

2) There's no way to quickly access the list of running services on the phone. So you must work your way through the menus to find them (annoying).

3) Cannot easily toggle between stock Android and Sense. That's because it's HTC and there's is sense. If it was stock then it wouldn't have sense

4) No percent left reader out of the box for the battery icon. So you cant look at the battery icon on the top of the screen to see how much is left?

All these issues lie directly with the buggy software. I know some of you guys are going to come in here and say "well it's what you're doing with your phone"...nope. It's the software. How exactly is this buggy software? Please explain

Also you guys need to stop lying about the battery life on this phone. It sucks. PERIOD. Simple solution: get a new battery. Not that hard and they aren't that expensive!

Upvote 0

Camera:

1) Sometimes the camera app closes when you press the button to take a picture. The picture isn't saved.

2) Sometimes when you scroll through pictures and wait for them to load up in a higher quality, they remain blurry.

Internet:

Market:

3) Some apps have no options to make them stop closing. Like the Scoremobile one for example. Once you download it, it runs forever unless you uninstall it.

Phone:

3) Cannot easily toggle between stock Android and Sense.

4) No percent left reader out of the box for the battery icon.

All these issues lie directly with the buggy software. I know some of you guys are going to come in here and say "well it's what you're doing with your phone"...nope. It's the software.

Also you guys need to stop lying about the battery life on this phone. It sucks. PERIOD.

None of the charging tricks work, ATK doesn't work, and turning off bluetooth/wifi/etc. really doesn't have any effect on the battery.

I have brightness at 10%, everything off, and the thing dies by 2pm on a normal day's use.

I can't comment about any of the other issues you've had because i've not experienced any of them

But dude, come on, why the hell do you think we're lying about battery?

I call utter BS that you have everything off and it dies that fast.

With brightness at auto, weather at 3 hours sync, gmail push, 2-4 hrs of pandora radio a day, hour of surfing, some calls, some email, some texting, i get from midnight(when i unplug from charging and go to bed) to 9pm the following day and barely hitting the yellow "warning" battery indicator, which is i believe 35% battery.

I have never, and will never use a task killer.

I leave brightness on auto, wifi off, bluetooth off except if needed, GPS on and cellular data on.

Best i've gotten was two full days of the above usage without a charge.

Upvote 0
I can't comment about any of the other issues you've had because i've not experienced any of them

But dude, come on, why the hell do you think we're lying about battery?

I call utter BS that you have everything off and it dies that fast.

With brightness at auto, weather at 3 hours sync, gmail push, 2-4 hrs of pandora radio a day, hour of surfing, some calls, some email, some texting, i get from midnight(when i unplug from charging and go to bed) to 9pm the following day and barely hitting the yellow "warning" battery indicator, which is i believe 35% battery.

I have never, and will never use a task killer.

I leave brightness on auto, wifi off, bluetooth off except if needed, GPS on and cellular data on.

Best i've gotten was two full days of the above usage without a charge.

An hour of web browsing at 10% brightness takes 35% off the battery for me.

I have everything off except the mobile network.

Upvote 0
An hour of web browsing at 10% brightness takes 35% off the battery for me.

I have everything off except the mobile network.

Three possibilities.

1) You're in a phenomenally bad coverage area and its drawing an ungodly amount of power to make the cell data connection. But even at max power, the phone shouldn't drain anywhere near that fast.

2) You have a defective battery.

3) You're lying or exaggerating

Upvote 0
My battery is dead by the end of the day. You must be an extremely heavy user becuase thats the only time I have a problem. I went with Seido 1750 and if your upset about battery life you may want to look into alternatives. No one is lying about battery life, there are useful tips for people that may not have the means to get a larger battery. The tips worked great for me, but becuase I am a heavy user of the phone I decided to get the 1750 and will probably upgrade to the 2150 once I can get a desktop charger that I can switch between batteries.

With regards to your sense issues. It seems like you are unhappy with some of the functions. Most of these can be alliviated with different apps. I agree with you on the VM thing, however that is not a bug it is built that way, that is the only way to push your way to VM unless you dial *86 or press and hold 1. You can't turn sense off. I am really confused on your statement on being able to switch back and forth between stock and sense. This is not possible unless you have rooted your phone. The app drawer you speak of, are you referring to the full list of apps or the stock app drawers that pull out on the side.

For you menu problems to see what is running I use System Panel. It's currently in beta and free. There will be a lite version but this is the best control panel app that I have seen. It list all running apps, shows batery life, shows consumption, and includes a task killer. You can also uninstall apps from this as well.

Folders- There are apps that can alliviate this as well. Apps organizer is very good, and has a sister app that is call label organizer. I am very sure this will solve your folder gripes. You may want to check out Astro folder manager as well, this is a very helpful tool to help you with management of stock folders. Also if you look in the troubleshooting folder you will find quite a few tips on stock folder managment.

Internet- Stock browser sucks go with dophin HD, or any of the other highly reccomended internet apps. You may want to get away from HTC bookmarks as well. Dolphin has a very nice integrated one, I don't even bother wasting space on one of my home screens when I can just click my internet icon.

I guess if your trying to rely completely on sense and HTC widgets, I would be a little annoyed too, but thats what is so great about Android. It's very customizable, if you are trying to stay 100% stock go get an Iphone trust me they have the best software for users that don't have interest or time to customize and make their phones great.

Upvote 0
I HEARD THE WORD TROLL USED SO MY ANTENNA WENT UP. I DON'T WANT RUDENESS, BICKERING OR NAME CALLING. IF YOU SUSPECT FOUL PLAY OF ANY KIND, DO NOT ENGAGE IT AND BICKER, HIT THE "REPORT" BUTTON AND LET A MOD KNOW. JUST SIMPLY HIT THE BUTTON AND STATE YOUR CONCERN IN THE BOX. THEY WILL BE DIRECTED BY LINK TO THE POST IN QUESTION. SIMPLE. IF YOU REACT AND BICKER YOU ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO DISCIPLINE AS WELL.

Steven is watching this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones