• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android 2.2.1

Goku1989

Lurker
Dec 10, 2010
Hello guys,
I only know how to use what I have and know nothing about modifying stuffs.
This being the case will you suggest me to upgrade my Galaxy-S to Android 2.2.1 (an unofficial version) or just wait for an official 2.3 upgrade through Kies?

If I choose to upgrade, will I till have my warranty intact or will I lose it?

and if I upgrade to this unofficial 2.2.1 version of Android, will I be able to use Kies in the future for Gingerbread upgradation?

Please guys, somebody answer this.

Note: I am not a programmer or any thing of that sort, I just learnt the meaning of rooting a phone and know nothing about kernels and stuffs out there.

With THanks,
Goku

Hello guys,
I only know how to use what I have and know nothing about modifying stuffs.
This being the case will you suggest me to upgrade my Galaxy-S to Android 2.2.1 (an unofficial version) or just wait for an official 2.3 upgrade through Kies?

There are official upgrades to 2.2.1 through Kies, where are you from sayian? And wait for gbread? Hmm. That can take months...
But the late appearance of JPX and JPU roms, makes me believe all world will get soon froyo :D so just wait the 2 weeks and then go with the hacks and flashes

If I choose to upgrade, will I till have my warranty intact or will I lose it?

and if I upgrade to this unofficial 2.2.1 version of Android, will I be able to use Kies in the future for Gingerbread upgradation?

I did this today with the kies reghack. I do believe it voids the warranty. But they would have to proof it and I dont even believe they would make you trouble

Reactions: Goku1989
Upvote 0
I am from India and I connected my phone to Kies even yesterday to check for updates and it says the connected device has the highest version of firmware so no upgrade available.
And I only have Android 2.2 (Froyo)

And if its not much of a trouble for you, may I request you to enlighten me about the following?
> JPX and JPU roms
> kies reghack

Upvote 0
I am from India and I connected my phone to Kies even yesterday to check for updates and it says the connected device has the highest version of firmware so no upgrade available.
And I only have Android 2.2 (Froyo)

And if its not much of a trouble for you, may I request you to enlighten me about the following?
> JPX and JPU roms
> kies reghack

Thats it man, you have the newest update 2.2 is where it stops. gingerbread will not be out for along time. All the roms you are inquiring about are unstable leaks of the rom you are running. Have fun, you could always ROOT.

Upvote 0
Thats it man, you have the newest update 2.2 is where it stops. gingerbread will not be out for along time. All the roms you are inquiring about are unstable leaks of the rom you are running. Have fun, you could always ROOT.

2.2 is where it stops? How did you come to this conclusion ?
And I UPDATED via KIES its an official update tylerdurdin....
no unstable leak...

There is now the JPU and JPX roms with 2.2.1 (just a small number but big difference!)

Goku I actually dont know whats the difference is between JPU or JPX. I think they say virtually none?

I know JPX is for the XEU which is the UK code. Means for the United Kingdom phones. (Which I used too)

There is a thread I followed over at xda dont have the link here.

Anyway I would say wait the WEEK or 2 if you dont get the newest update :) . You can hold on that much right? :)

Reactions: Goku1989
Upvote 0
Oh, thats really a good news!! :)
an official version of 2.2.1
I'll definitely wait for another 15 days then. :)

once again, thanks for the news :)

and meanwhile, I see that the word "rom" appears pretty often.
But I'm afraid I don't know what it means, can you please help me out with that?

With Thanks,
Goku

Upvote 0
Oh, thats really a good news!! :)
an official version of 2.2.1
I'll definitely wait for another 15 days then. :)

once again, thanks for the news :)

and meanwhile, I see that the word "rom" appears pretty often.
But I'm afraid I don't know what it means, can you please help me out with that?

With Thanks,
Goku

ROM is something like your phone's OS and BIOS(Not sure if really BIOS). ROMs are what we flash, you upgrade to a 2.2.1 ROM. I don't want to misinform you, but I think it stands for Read Only Memory.
That means you can not change it when it's on your device, but you can change an existing one or create a new one from your computer. That's why we have lots of custom ROMs.
I hope that is a decent and sufficent explanation.

please help: upgraded my galaxy s to 2.2.1 with success but after i reboot it the home screen is not functioning. Advise for HELP!

Did you run a factory reset after updating?
Did you update via KIES or ODIN?
Is it a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
2.2 is where it stops? How did you come to this conclusion ?
And I UPDATED via KIES its an official update tylerdurdin....
no unstable leak...

There is now the JPU and JPX roms with 2.2.1 (just a small number but big difference!) <snip>

I'm still waiting for 2.2.1 in Auckland, NZ. My phone lags hard (so much so that I'm too embarrassed to show it to anyone until Samsung fields an update). After it's updated and there's no lag, then I'll start feeling like my phone was worth what I paid for it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones