• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 for garminfone rocks

Attention Garminfone users! Be advised:

I attempted to update my phone last night. Everything went well to the point that my phone never completed the update and rebooted like it should have... The phone is now "dead" :(

I spent hours on the phone with both a T mobile tech and (separately) a Garmin-Asus Tech trying to solve the issue. No fix could be found. The phone could not be started nor restored to factory settings. It is gone.
I am told I am the first one to have this issue.

Since this phone was not bought directly from T mobile they would not replace the phone or offer any warranty on the device. In general all I saw from T-Mobile today is not so much willingness to help and a LOT of hold time... very unimpressive customer service to say the least. I will probably switch over just based on this one experience.

Garmin-Asus does not have a manufacturer-warranty on this device since it's a Carrier-dedicated phone. One's warranty should come from T-mobile.
Garmin Support has been very helpful and are working on a fix on their end. Thumbs up for the experience with them so far!

At the bottom line, both companies shake off all responsibility even though the download came from their site. :(

I hope I will be able to get my phone replaced in the end, it is a great phone and this much needed update makes it even better.

My suggestion: I would not to update for the time being if you did not buy your phone (have a warranty) directly from T-Mobile. At least put it off until more information is out. It is an expensive phone to lose.

I am told there is a Hacker mode where one might be able to salvage the OS but both techs would not disclose any information if such mode exists on this phone. I would appreciate any information. THX

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones