• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.x on Galaxy

Oh noes!! I haz voided mai warranty??

Screw you Samsung. Frankly, I'd rather have a phone with the capabilities Google intended in the OS than some crippled piece of crap you've tossed over your shoulder in less than a year.

Which is why I flashed mine to Galaxo just yesterday.

And to you, Samsung, I say GOOD DAY, SIR!

ABCDawg

It does void the warranty, but if you encounter some kind of problem, you can flash the original firmware back and they'll never know.

And if you phone just won't work anymore and you can't change the firmware, they won't even notice. XD

Upvote 0
Who says it cant be done:

Specs (weaker than i7500): iPhone 3G 8, 16 GB Specs (iPhone 3G, MB046LL/A*, A1241, 2347*, iPhone1,2) @ EveryiPod.com

Froyo on it: Install Android 2.2 Froyo on iPhone 3G | Gadgets DNA

Use Chipin to start a bounty!

P.S. Froyo on ACER Liquid: kernel 2.6.29

froyo runs on iphone due to the dualboot virtual kernal
acer liquid however is a beast for what it is
Acer Liquid - Full phone specifications
did you see the numbers it was achieving in linpack. 10 times higher than the galaxy

Upvote 0
I think earlier members of this forum chipped in to buy him a Galaxy i7500 before I joined. I'm not sure what was committed too then but I think his work with 1.6 has been payback enough. Certainly I would tip him to complete GAOSP.

Yeah, that did happen. It started with someone saying he accepted donations and would pay to ship his Galaxy to drakaz, and the project was completed in no time.

I was talking about paying someone else. Something like a reward, I think there are sites for that, where programmers go to make some money.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that did happen. It started with someone saying he accepted donations and would pay to ship his Galaxy to drakaz, and the project was completed in no time.

I was talking about paying someone else. Something like a reward, I think there are sites for that, where programmers go to make some money.

I trust Drakaz. He does good work. I would like to see him finish GAOSP as he is very close. I think I might give it a whirl this weekend, I use neither the camera or Bluetooth now anyway.

Upvote 0
I trust Drakaz. He does good work. I would like to see him finish GAOSP as he is very close. I think I might give it a whirl this weekend, I use neither the camera or Bluetooth now anyway.

I trust drakaz too, he always keeps us updated about his whereabouts (unlike Musty), but he said multiple times that GAOSP was huge and too much for one person to complete.

And very close to finishing GAOSP? Where did you hear that?

Upvote 0
I trust drakaz too, he always keeps us updated about his whereabouts (unlike Musty), but he said multiple times that GAOSP was huge and too much for one person to complete.

And very close to finishing GAOSP? Where did you hear that?

I haven't been following closely but I thought BT and Camera where all that was remaining. I'll read the site now and get caught up :)

Upvote 0
it was the legend that was kam187's galaxy, i miss that dude.

we all got drakaz that galaxy as a gift as drakaz even said he would not promise anything and at the time there was no 1.6 or anything.
because of us chipping together and getting him a galaxy though hes now made the best rom to ever see this device that runs pretty up to date apps smoothly and on top of that hes launched a website to accomodate it.
i think drakaz himself was quite taken back by how much this community needs him and how much respect he actually has.

doing a chipin project will make people see were not a bunch of leachers.
other mods would have stayed involved with the galaxy but tbh drakaz has all bases covered. they would soon gain interest in pushing the boundries if there was a bounty at stake
hell, while i dont think drakaz needs motivating it might push him if he knows other devs are stepping up thier game for a bounty that he has a headstart in

Reactions: gie62001
Upvote 0
boom, big things are happening here
3D and GAOSP, job done | drakaz

What use is 3D? Seriously.

I dunno I just want a responsive reliable phone, with a decent battery life that takes advantage of the hardware (for me this is the camera). It's not like you can play 3D games on a phone.

I'm not knocking the achievement and I guess this has to be done to get all the benefits of Eclair. The wallpapers are great, but I'm not convinced the hardware can cope, the phone seems laggy and slow to me with all this running. The gallery at the end of the first video, either they don't know what they are doing or the phone is just really struggling.

Don't mean to be so negative, this is great and I hope this means that a finished version of 2.1 will be ready soon, just trying to be realistic and asking from a naive standpoint what the benefit is of getting the 3D working.

Upvote 0
Yes I just read on Drakaz's forum that 3D is required for the camera, I've no idea why, but it is. So I guess this is one of the big blocks that was preventing the rest of GAOSP from being completed therefore hopefully we'll have a fully working 2.1 on our phones. So indeed this could be big news, great stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones