• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.x on Galaxy

And there we were hoping he could be Samsung's Cyanogen... I ended up drifting off to sleep watching the chatter on #i7500 and they seem to be putting in a load of effort for it too. Well done Kam187 and others! Watching the irc channel, I felt like the only real input I could give is Comic relief though, but I'll be more than happy to help with the testing effort and donate when I can.

Upvote 0
Andronix, how are you finding your version of Eclair on the galaxy. What is the battery life like? Are you seeing any shutdowns? Is it much faster than cupcake? Having problems downloading any apps from the market? Questions, questions questions!

It's 2.0 AOSP. The battery life is similar to IK4, but the presentation on remaining battery is very different. Battery starts falling much faster, but the fall is linear, not like on 1.5 where you're long on 50+ and then suddenly you find your phone turned off.

The fastest you get is galaxo1.1 because framebuffer works, there are few tweaks in the kernel, all drivers working well. But the code of the browser is latest meaning some pages, google reader per example, are rendered accurately, while on 1.5 browser are not rendered well. Also, new Market app is nice... try it.

Upvote 0
Pretty much the only reason I want 2.0 is for multitouch support...

No no no and no! Multitouch is the last thing I would upgrade the phone for. MT option is mostly useless, it does a trick or two and that's it. I can't imagine how MT does improve functionality in general (because it doesn't) and I can imagine dosen things new Android 2.x can really improve. Anyhow it depends of Samsung (drivers & hardware - Galaxys HW limitations might be a problem I believe) and apps to support multitouch, not the Android 2.x to do it.

(Pozdrav svim HR Galaxyovcima)

Upvote 0
If you type quickly then I guess they aren't really consecutive. You
press with one finger and then you press with another one in a different
place while your first finger is still being lifted from the screen. You
often have both fingers on the screen at the same time. Because
they didn't "land" at the same moment a multitouch keyboard easily
discerns the order of the presses and it works. Without multitouch,
you can't type another letter until you completely lifted your finger
from the first one. Try it on the Galaxy. Keep one letter pressed and
press another. It doesn't register.

Upvote 0
If you type quickly then I guess they aren't really consecutive. You
press with one finger and then you press with another one in a different
place while your first finger is still being lifted from the screen. You
often have both fingers on the screen at the same time. Because
they didn't "land" at the same moment a multitouch keyboard easily
discerns the order of the presses and it works. Without multitouch,
you can't type another letter until you completely lifted your finger
from the first one. Try it on the Galaxy. Keep one letter pressed and
press another. It doesn't register.

indeed this happens quite alot due to my lazy thumbs but im quick

Upvote 0
Of course it does not - Galaxy has no multi-touch.

But how do you suggest the phone should interpret touches, when you push two letters at once? Typing needs sequential touches. Or you'll end up with something like that:

Ytping eneds esquential otuches.

I personally type with one thumb in portrait mode using HTC full qwerty keyboard with auto-complete.

Upvote 0
Of course it does not - Galaxy has no multi-touch.

But how do you suggest the phone should interpret touches, when you push two letters at once? Typing needs sequential touches. Or you'll end up with something like that:

Ytping eneds esquential otuches.

I personally type with one thumb in portrait mode using HTC full qwerty keyboard with auto-complete.

i type in landscape mostly and devices like iphone write with a 1st to press recognition so it memorises order of key press
i know the galaxy can do it as if its lagging and you type really fast you can wait a second and watch the galaxy print the word you typed a seconds before.
if you had multitouch it would just remove deadspots and typos a bit

Upvote 0
I haven't seen this posted anywhere on the forums, but it says on the Samsung Twitter page that 2.0 is coming soon. Did everyone miss this? I mean why work on 2.0 if they are about to release it?

SamsungFirmware (SamsungFirmware) on Twitter

Last firmware for the samsung galaxy is online I7500XXIK5
11:26 AM Jan 4th from web

@jeebjp @DrHyperKALICH Samsung is busy with android 2.0 updates... First phone with 2.0 is for the Galaxy later Q1 for the Galaxy Lite.
11:08 AM Jan 4th from web in reply to jeebjp

Great news for the Samsung I7500.... Android 2.0 is almost finish.
10:11 AM Jan 4th from web

Jan 4th, was a good day.

Upvote 0
It would need a keyboard programmed to recognize typos caused by simultaneous touches and touches made in wrong order.

Pay attention to the HW limitations of Galaxys screen. We are speaking software here, but I think I was reading an article or two about HW limitations (for Galaxy, not in general) and that's the main reason that some devices aren't capable of having MT. Their HW / screen, from the beginning, is not designed to work in that way, so no SW can help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones