• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android App Rejected: Change in Google's SMS permission policy

Octane_Tech

Lurker
Mar 8, 2019
I have developed an SMS/MMS transfer application and the application was live on Play Store since 2016.

Core features of app:
  1. Backup and Transfer SMS/MMS messages between Android devices
  2. Transfer SMS/MMS messages between Android and iOS devices
Recently, I tried to submit an app update and received following app rejection email from Google:

The declared functionality {Backup and restore for users} is determined to be unnecessary or not aligned with the core functionality of your app

I am surprised that Google mentioned above reason for my app rejection. I have following questions:
  1. Anyone faced similar issue recently? If yes, how did you resolve this issue?
  2. There are many apps live on the store such as SMS Backup & Restore and iSMS2droid with similar functionality as my application. How these apps are approved?
  3. Is there a different use case I have to select when I am submitting my application? I selected the Backup and Restore use case as my application needs WRITE_SMS permission.
I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts on this topic. Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones