• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transferring files from Android phone to PC?

Hi all,

I just want to know the most secure way I can transfer data like my SMS messages, contacts and other personal data from my Huawei Android phone to my Windows 10 PC.

I want to be clear that I don't want the easiest way to transfer data, just the most secure way so that I can be certain that my personal phone data isn't transmitted to anyone else or any other device.

I've been trying all night to backup via MyBackUp Pro, but I'm constantly told there is an error: My Backup Pro - Apps on Google Play

I've sent Rerware an email about the problems with the App.

I'm currently reading this link: Lost Your USB Cable? Here Are Other Ways to Connect an Android to a PC

Thanks for any help!!!

Sorry did I do something wrong when I created this thread? It says it was posted in "forum.earlybird.club" and I'm not familiar with this? :(:(:(:(
You're literally the very first person to ever notice this...

Just minutes ago, we changed our brand name from "Android Forums" to "Early Bird Club"!

We loved covering everything Android for the past 15+ years, but moving forward we're hoping to recapture the energy that originally made Android Forums so great; early adopters and tech enthusiasts flocking to the latest tech innovations while helping each other with products new and old.

Wish I could help you with your underlying question in the original post, but not my forte!

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I just want to know the most secure way I can transfer data like my SMS messages, contacts and other personal data from my Huawei Android phone to my Windows 10 PC.

I want to be clear that I don't want the easiest way to transfer data, just the most secure way so that I can be certain that my personal phone data isn't transmitted to anyone else or any other device.

I've been trying all night to backup via MyBackUp Pro, but I'm constantly told there is an error: My Backup Pro - Apps on Google Play

I'm currently reading this link: Lost Your USB Cable? Here Are Other Ways to Connect an Android to a PC

Thanks for any help!!!

I've always used KDE Connect. You load it on phone and your PC. It has never failed me
KDE Connect

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks for any help!!!
for sms i would recommend SMS Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play

contacts, switch all of them to google. it will sync over the cloud and you just need to sign in to google to get your contacts.

and the rest you can use huawei's hisuite to backup your data:

Upvote 0
If the OP wants to be sure their info isn't sent to any other device I assume they want to avoid Google Drive as well. However, Google Drive backup is only an option in SMS Backup & Restore: you can turn that off, just do a local backup and then copy that backup to the PC over a USB connection. The question is whether you just want a backup (in which case this is fine), or whether you expect your PC to be able to read them (you can read xml in a text editor, but it won't be formatted nicely for reading).

Similarly if you want to back up Contacts without involving anyone else, go into your Contacts app and "Export" them (it will be an option somewhere, but as I don't know Huawei's app I can't be sure exactly where in its settings it will be). This will write your contacts to a vcard file (.vcf), which is a standard format you can read into any contact manager or "import" back into an Android contacts app.

"Other personal data": that very much depends on what data you mean and where it is stored. If it is stored in an app's database and your phone is not rooted then your only chance is probably to use whatever backup or export options that app has. If it's stored in a directory in your internal storage that you can see with a file manager then you can just copy it over usb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones