• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Apps vs iPhone apps

iPhoneMilk

Oct 29, 2009
Ok so i know the "cool kid in school" thing to do is make fun of the iPhone market for having 1,000's of 'Fart apps'

But let's be honest at the end of the day it's really not true, and now coming from being a previous iPhone owner and now a Droid owner i can honestly say, the iPhone app market wins by a TON.

this is just a general QUALITY of apps comparison as well.

NO i'm not switching back... but man do i miss the iPhone apps...

Especially facebook.. and others..

You can REALLY tell the difference between the quality of iPhone apps vs Android,

So why am i starting this thread?.. Well i'm hoping maybe a developer could chime in and enlighten us on why this is...

things i'm curious about-

Is programming in android worse then in the iPhone OS? is that why apps are WAY less in quality?

And you can't give the excuse that it's because things are new, when the iPhone market came out the apps were quality at day 1, many of them were.

So what's the difference? i guess software...

Well i'm sticking with android even though this exists.. in hopes that maybe future Android OS updates and SDK's will improve this very obvious difference.. right now i'm not impressed at all... the apps are all Slow, and they look horrible.

and for twitter? holy crap... iPhone owners back me up here, but the iPhone twitter apps are lightyears ahead of android twitter apps.

Just take a look at Tweetdeck for iPhone, and compare to to what i guess is the best android twitter app, twidroid?

Compare those and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Until now, there hasn't been an android handset that could really challenge the iPhone. And still now, I don't see the Droid hurting iPhone sales (though I do expect to see Windows Mobile and BBs decrease)

When one device dominates a market like the iPhone does, it doesn't matter that it's a closed and constricted platform, its where the money is. Develop a good app there and sell it to all the iKids and you're sure to rake in cash.

With Sprint and Verizon getting very good Android devices, and with more and more Android devices coming out in the near future, things are looking very good for the future of the app market here. More androids running around means bigger profit potential for developers, and you'd be surprised how much that speeds up the development process.

After the holiday season, there will likely be MANY new android users. By 2010 I fully expect development to be on the rise.

Upvote 0
I was just reading an article (I can post the link if interested.) where an android developer took an iPhone developer class and was comparing development on the two platforms and one of the thing he mentioned that was superior on the iPhone was the WYSIWYG UI app and nothing came close to to it on the android side. Interface is extremely important to Apple and Apple developers.

Give it time the nice apps will come.

-Bill

Upvote 0
I just switched from an iPhone3Gs to the Droid and although I was never an app-fanatic, there were a handful that I used regularly. Luckily I was able to find them all except two in the Android Marketplace and the quality is just as good if not better. I can honestly say there is NOTHING I have missed about the iPhone since making the switch a few weeks ago. The iPhone is a GREAT product but I never experienced the iPhone mania (all hail to iPhone) as other current or previous owners.

One more thing, it really doesn't matter to me if iPhone has 100,000 or 1,000,000 apps as long as the ones I need on the Droid are found.

Upvote 0
I just went from a 1st generation iPhone to the Droid. Some of my app observations:

1. There is more choice in the iPhone app store For example I had two Netflix apps installed on my iPhone and there were many more to choose from. On my Droid I have one choice. That said the app does pretty much everything I need.

2. iPhone apps are more polished and sophisticated. Facebook is a prime example. The Android app is bare bones while the iPhone version is fully featured. A LOT of this can be attributed to the app store's head start, Facebook on the iPhone is already at version 3.0.

3.The Android market now features screen shots but there are not enough for each app. Most apps seem to have 2 screenshots on their description page while on the iPhone app store apps routinely have 5. To make matters worse many apps have none at all.

4. Love it or hate it iTunes allows you to browse the app store on your computer and even download and purchase apps. Is their an Android equivalent?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones