• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Browser Not Showing all Bookmarks from Chrome

I posted this on Google's support forum as well, but since I never seem to get any response there, thought I'd try here as well:

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Stock ROM 4.0.2
Stock Android Browser

I just found that the Stock Android Browser no longer shows all of my Chrome Bookmarks. It was working fine a few days ago. It could be a coincidence, but this was first noticed the same day that I switched over to "Google Play" from the Android Market.

I have a fair number of Bookmarks and Folders. All of the Folder seem to be showing up, but only 2 of the 30 or so of those on the "Bookmarks Bar" for quick access.

When I check Settings...Accounts & Sync... I find the following:

Gmail - "sync error" with a red icon

At the bottom of this page it says:

"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

Despite this message sync for Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, Skype, Dropbox are all actually working fine.

It's only the Bookmarks Sync, and specifically those on the Bookmarks Bar, that seems to be broken.

Is anyone else having this problem, or know what could be causing it? I'm inclined to think it's a Google glitch which will eventually be resolved, rather than something on my particular phone, but who knows...

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

I just checked again, and Accounts & Sync is no longer showing the Error Message above, and Google Sync is now shown as On. When I select that option, it shows the various items that are set to Sync, including the Browser.

All of the other items show the most recent Sync date and time, which is basically now, since I just reset the phone. But the item for Browser shows a Grey Refresh icon next to the Check Box (which is checked), and the last Sync date is 3/5/2012.

I tapped the Refresh button, and it "tried" but nothing changed.

I deselected the Check Box, exited, and then re-entered and re-selected it. Once again, it "tried" to Refresh, with the icon spinning for about 20 seconds, but once again, it was apparently unsuccessful.

Again, based on the fact that the previous "Sync Error" and the other Sync error message spontaneously disappeared and normalized, I'm thinking something funky is going on with Google. And maybe the Browser Sync is the last item that will be resolved.

I am the only one seeing this? If you check your Browser Sync settings, is it showing as current, and refreshing like the other items?

Upvote 0
Further Update:

I disabled Browser Sync on my Phone.

Next I went to Google Dashboard, and chose the option to Stop Sync and Delete All Data for the Chrome entry there. I allowed it to complete.

I went back to Chrome, had to re log-in and re-enabled Chrome Sync.

Went back to my Phone, re-enabled Browser Sync, but it still didn't complete, and the Grey Refresh Bar remains.

I went to chrome://sync-internals and verified that Chrome Sync is "READY" and can see it sync whenever I make a change, add or delete, a Bookmark.

On that page, there is a section as follows:

Actionable Error

Error Type SYNC_SUCCESS
Action UNKNOWN_Action
url
Error Description

I'm not sure what this section means, if it is acknowledging some type of error occurring or what. Anybody have any idea on the original problem, or the specific meaning of the "Actionable Error" section above?

Upvote 0
Still no joy. Acting on some suggestions found other forums:

I unchecked "Browser Sync" on my phone.
On my phone, I went to Settings...Apps...All...Browser and Cleared both Data and Cache.
Tried again to Sync, and it failed.
Re-opening the Browser: *none* of my Bookmarks were there! Not one!

I then repeated the same 2 steps, disabling Browser Sync and Clearing Data and Cache
I turned the phone off.

On my Desktop, I went to Google Dashboard, and turned off Chrome Sync completely, deleting the data on the server, and verified that it had completed.
I re-signed in to Chrome, and enabled Sync - all items, Encryption only for passwords (as it was before).

I restarted my phone, re-enabled Browser Sync but it failed once again.
I went to the Browser and all my original limited-set pre 3/5/2012 Bookmarks were back.
Retrying Browser Sync was again unsuccessful.

Because I had deleted all the data on the phone's browser, I had to reconfigure settings, re-enter user names and passwords, etc. - what a pain!

So I'm back where I was to start with - some of my Bookmarks are present but not all. The Folders show up, but I've discovered that some are empty, some have all the Bookmarks, some have only a selection.

So, the bottom line is that "Browser Sync" stopped working 3/5/2012 and hasn't come back. It seems that the Cache of Bookmarks for my phone is corrupted on Google's servers - how else could I recover that limited set of bookmarks after deleting and disconnecting, and which is different from the set of bookmarks currently on Chrome?

And still not a single response from Google Support...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones