• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Contacts Situation*

In preparation for the G1 I tried to load all my outlook contacts that I have with my current "Wing" onto my Google account contacts. Unfortunately I followed these directions to do so and YES, my contacts did go through. THE PROBLEM is that google will not name the contacts once they are transfered unless they contain an e-mail address. (basicly now my google contacts shows a list of phone numbers)

Questions:
Is there a way to fix the problem above.

Will the G1 allow me to transfer contacts FROM the phone TO google. ?

Doesn't look like there's a solution, particularly since that article states at the end:

Notes

• Outlook Contacts without an e-mail address are not imported.
  • Outlook distribution lists are not imported. Gmail does not support distribution lists.
  • If an Outlook Contact that matches an existing Gmail contact is imported, your Outlook Contact information replaces the Gmail contact.

Maybe this will change after the device launches?

Upvote 0
Step 1) Go to http://www.goosync.com/SupportedDevices.aspx then select "HTC" for your device maker, and scroll down to the bottom where it says where to get SyncML clients for non-touch screen Windows Mobile 6 phones. Install the SyncML client.

Step 2) Find a SyncML service that suits you. GooSync is good, but you have to pay in order to do Contacts syncing, the free service only lets you sync _1_ Google calendar onto your phone. Funambol will also be supporting Google once the G1 is out, and they're another SyncML based project (though, they mostly provide software to you for putting up your own service; their provided "service" called "My Funambol" is only meant to be a demo, and doesn't provide SSL syncing).

Step 3) Start syncing your current phone to Google now, in anticipation of using your Google phone.

This is what I did. Only I'm on Symbian S60 (Nokia E61i), which has a built in SyncML client. I paid for a few months of GooSync, because I don't know how much longer I might need it after the G1. Not that I expect I'll still want/need the Nokia, but because SyncML can also be used to sync client software, like plugins for Thunderbird and Firefox.

So, anywhere, there you go. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones