• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Control for Business?

skavenger0

Lurker
Mar 4, 2011
Hi,

I've been trying to find some information on Android phones operations in a business environment and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this.

The company I work for is looking at having a small number of smart phones, most likely android for select individuals to use for email and specific tasks.

The problem is I cannot find any information on how you can police such a device like you can a computer so prevent the user abusing the device and say playing games or surfing the net all day or using the phone for none business use. For security purposes I would like a way to lock down the device to prevent it from being connected to a computer and prevent apps from being downloaded or pretty much anything without an administrators intervention.

Is there any way this can be done or does anyone have any suggestions.

Froyo has administrator controls for remote wipe and applying policies to the device (Such as lockout duration, etc). More info on that can be found here: Device Administration – New Feature Supported from Froyo AndroidBoss

As of now, I don't know of any pre-built apps, so you might be on your own, so to speak, with writing the client app, as it's just an API that's provided.

Since Froyo is "new" (New, as in just becoming pre-loaded on devices, or even being available for flashing) it might be a few months until someone else does it.

Upvote 0
Froyo has administrator controls for remote wipe and applying policies to the device (Such as lockout duration, etc). More info on that can be found here: Device Administration – New Feature Supported from Froyo AndroidBoss

As of now, I don't know of any pre-built apps, so you might be on your own, so to speak, with writing the client app, as it's just an API that's provided.
My workplace recently made Lotus Notes Traveler available and it incorporates those remote wipe capabilities (supposedly - heaven help me if I ever need to get our IT department to apply them...). It doesn't affect any other use of the device outside the Notes app though. Except I can't change my current PIN code without it insisting on the new one being 8 digits, which is easily circumvented by setting up a PIN before installing Notes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones