• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android developer joining in...

JVene

Jan 2, 2014
Hey all, I'm 50 (for another week anyway). I've been a software engineer / programmer for over 30 years, and lately I've expanded into Android development, targeting OpenGL ES 2 and 3, in C++ using the NDK.

Of course, if you'll pardon the reference, I do write for "that other" phone OS too, and I'm setting up the development system for that (yet another) phone OS that's been on the verge of release for about a year now (the one Samsung is planning).

I joined because my son received an LG Optimus F6 for Christmas, and so right away I realized that despite having an SD card, the phone insists it runs out of memory. I'm a Unix/Linux user/programmer going back to the beginning of Linux and the early 80's for Unix, so to me that seemed absolutely absurd. What's so hard about a symbolic link, right?

Well, a few searches and hardly a question on my part, I found here the (and I should capitalize THE) answer for the missing pieces of the puzzle in my case.

I figure, if Google found threads on this site with that much applicable information, I should join.

Here's a shout out to Tokenpoke - his posts on various threads were key.

So, now that 2014 is more officially under way (that is to say that coffee has finally overcome the scotch, gin, vodka and beer which helped me END 2013) - I'm back to debugging ARM-NEON code under Linux.

Correction, I don't write bugs ;) profiling, tweaking, and analyzing would be more accurate.

Correction, I don't write bugs ;) profiling, tweaking, and analyzing would be more accurate.
Welcome to the forum. I spent my entire software career (over 40 years) writing bugs. I got paid to fix them. At least that's the way I looked at it.

Si I take it you're going to write the ultimate app mover app, huh? Leave a symlink in internal storage and move the entire app to external. Might be a bit difficult resolving absolute references an app makes to internal locations, though. (Some Android app developers aren't actually programmers, you know and / on the external SD card isn't / on the internal SD card.)

Upvote 0
Hey all, I'm 50 (for another week anyway). I've been a software engineer / programmer for over 30 years, and lately I've expanded into Android development, targeting OpenGL ES 2 and 3, in C++ using the NDK.

Of course, if you'll pardon the reference, I do write for "that other" phone OS too, and I'm setting up the development system for that (yet another) phone OS that's been on the verge of release for about a year now (the one Samsung is planning).

I joined because my son received an LG Optimus F6 for Christmas, and so right away I realized that despite having an SD card, the phone insists it runs out of memory. I'm a Unix/Linux user/programmer going back to the beginning of Linux and the early 80's for Unix, so to me that seemed absolutely absurd. What's so hard about a symbolic link, right?

Well, a few searches and hardly a question on my part, I found here the (and I should capitalize THE) answer for the missing pieces of the puzzle in my case.

I figure, if Google found threads on this site with that much applicable information, I should join.

Here's a shout out to Tokenpoke - his posts on various threads were key.

So, now that 2014 is more officially under way (that is to say that coffee has finally overcome the scotch, gin, vodka and beer which helped me END 2013) - I'm back to debugging ARM-NEON code under Linux.

Welcome to the forums , JVene. I find it cool that your up in age and find interest in this stuff :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums , JVene. I find it cool that your up in age and find interest in this stuff :)

:p:D:mad::(:rolleyes:

Yish!

I'd ROTF to LMAO but frankly I don't roll like I used to, and it would take a lot of laughing to work :smokingsomb:

Actually, you're talking about my father!

He's 70, and though he's not entirely focused on Android, he is a wizard at making Windows work, and weeding out the viruses his friends ALWAYS attract to their PC's.

In my case, though, I'm among the originals. I'm one of the guys that helped make Unix what it is and became, much like and thus before those who made Linux what it became.

I laughed, IRL, at your post because I've not yet reached that point in life to consider myself old, though I'm 50 for a few weeks still. My tech is as current as yesterday, and my skills and work extend through 3D engines for ES 2 and 3, audio for mobile, as well as plugins / addons / renderers for 3DS Max and Maya (which come from a previous life, in a way - I worked in the post production field for television and film).

Hacking a ROM for Android is outside my range of interests, but certainly not outside my toolset (there's only so much time in a day).

In a way, hilarious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones