• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM][8.1.0][UNOFFICIAL] /e/ For Osprey

D

Deleted User

/e/

As always, you take responsibility for what you do to your phone. Don't go filing civil lawsuits against me if your alarm fails to get you up for work in the morning.

The Hell's An /e/?
"/e/ is a non-profit project, in the public interest. We build open-source mobile operating systems that respect users’ data privacy. We’re an international core team of experienced entrepreneurs, developers and designers, and a growing community of contributors." --taken from their website.

Basically think Lineage AOSP but instead of just leaving gapps out of it, they're trying to take it a step further and really give Google the finger. Their ultimate goal for the future is to make a mobile OS featuring an entire ecosystem (/e/cosystem?) that respects users' privacy and avoids the "big-companies-that-sell-your-data". They will have alternatives to the most popular Google services baked in: F-Droid instead of Google Play, something like Telegram instead of Google Hangouts, Bliss with an icon pack instead of a proprietary Google launcher, etc.

What Works?
Everything except what's listed below!

What Don't Work?
--There's no market for apps built in, so you'll have to use the browser to grab an APK of FDroid or something after install (in a future build I'll try to include FDroid in there)
--Verizon data seems a bit weird, like it'll work fine for a little bit then decide it doesn't want to and quit later on as soon as you reboot. What you need to do is reboot the phone with the SIM card taken out, then reboot it again with it back in and it'll work again. If this still doesn't work, changing the APN to Straight Talk Verizon apparently worked for some people
--USB OTG is apparently broken as well

Where's My Source Code, and How'd You Build this?
Don't worry, this took me forever to find too. I used the V1-oreo branch which is Lineage 15.1 based. The trees I'm using come from The Moto8916 Github Repo.

Here's the roomservice XML I used so you don't have to manually add it all yourself

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<!-- Device -->
<project name="moto8916/android_device_motorola_osprey" path="device/motorola/osprey" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
<project name="moto8916/android_device_motorola_msm8916-common" path="device/motorola/msm8916-common" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
<project name="moto8916/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916" path="kernel/motorola/msm8916" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
<project name="moto8916/proprietary_vendor_motorola" path="vendor/motorola" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />

<project name="LineageOS/android_device_qcom_common" path="device/qcom/common" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
<project name="LineageOS/android_packages_resources_devicesettings" path="packages/resources/devicesettings" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />

<!-- Linaro 7.3 kernel toolchain -->
<project name="dev-harsh1998/GCC_BUILDS" path="prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-7.3" remote="github" revision="master" />

<!-- Boringssl -->
<project name="LineageOS/android_external_sony_boringssl-compat" path="external/sony/boringssl-compat" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
<project name="LineageOS/android_external_bson" path="external/bson" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
</manifest>

To get the custom /e/ apps in your build you have to edit the portion of vendor/cm/config/common.mk that talks about "Custom CM Packages". Go to /prebuilts/prebuiltapks for a list of folders' names you can add to this list. Note that not everything will add properly, and adding some things may mess up your ROM, so experiment at your own risk

Where's My Download Link?
--MY GOOGLE DRIVE BUILD FOLDER
--If you want MicroG as well as a replacement for GApps, XDA's resident MicroG expert martianmarvel said he followed this thread here and got MicroG working on his /e/ harpia just fine

Can I See Some Screenshots? (It's an older Nougat build because I'm too lazy to get new screenies but it's more or less the same theme)
2v9ajq0.jpg

34s5ybs.jpg

15g59ww.jpg

Who Should You Give a Special Thanks To?
--The /e/ team (including but not limited to Gael Duval)
--All the guys here on the harpia forums for their hard work in building the trees for this thing
--@bcrichster for showing me how to get the /e/ apps to build with the ROM on this thing so I don't have to steal from AOSP anymore
--The moto8916 github repo (and all its contributors) for the trees
--All the dudes on the english Moto G3 testing group for letting me know that the ROM is working fine, I don't have a G3 myself but they tested it all for me

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones