• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android email/Gmail old mail confusion.

marco772

May 15, 2011
Hi,

I have a ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco and my main bug bear is the lack of memory it carries. I was using the Hotmail app but, as it was rather large (and that the stock email app cannot be deleted), I uninstalled it and set up
the stock email app to receive all Hotmail. Worked a treat.

In the interests of saving space it occurred to me I could do the same with the Gmail app (which also serves as my main email of choice).

However, upon configuring the stock app for my Gmail account I remembered that I have tried this before and gone back to the Gmail app and why.

My problem is as soon as I check my gmail through the stock app it automatically retrieves the 2000+ emails I have in my account.

Naturally, even if they go to the SD card, this rather scuppers my "phone space saving" plan!

I'm sure there's an easy way around this but my Googling has failed me on this occasion!

So my question is, can I set up my Gmail account through the stock app but to ONLY receive email as it comes and NOT download all past emails (as it does with Hotmail)? And, obviously, how do I do this? :)

Also, question two, can I set it up so I can delete the email from the phone but have it left on the server? So I could still see it later if I wanted on my laptop, for example.

I'm sure this is simple stuff, but it has me foxed.Help would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

Thanks, I've done that, but it's not sending or receiving at the moment. The Hotmail account is working but not the gmail. I'm assuming I have the settings on the phone somehow wrong.

My settings are;

Sync deleted message (checked)

Incoming Settings

Username (full gmail address)

IMAP Server - imap.gmail.com

Port - 993

Security Type - SSL

(This returns an "Setup could not finish. Unable to open connection to server" message)

Outgoing Settings

SMTP Server - smtp.gmail.com

Port - 465

Security Type - SSL

Require sign in - (Checked)

Username (Full gmail address)

(This returns an "Setup could not finish. Unable to open connection to server" message)

I'm hoping there's some idiotic error in there you can point out? :)

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Sorry for posting my question in someone else thread but as a new user I'm now allowed to start new threads.

My question is: I recently removed the large email app (the default one) which had the preview of several emails but when I tried to create the shortcut back on the home screen it was only a standard small size one and not the large "preview" email app.

How do I get this back?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones