• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data transfer from an old phone to another old phone.

My wife's phone is Moto G7 Plus and backed up to her Gmail account.
My phone is Mi 11 Lite and backed up to my Gmail account.

I would like to give my phone to my wife.
Is there anyway I can transfer her phone data to my phone please?

I was thinking, if I factory re-set my phone I can setup her account on Mi 11 from her Google backup. But I don't particularly want to do it that way. The main reason is, as you might know, Mi phones have so much bloatware. I have to through with this long process of getting rid off them.

I hope I made my point clear. Thank you in advance.

Depends what you mean by "Settings". It's a different phone, so things like system settings will differ. If you use the stock launcher (i.e. if you didn't install a third party replacement launcher, or don't know what a launcher is) then things like desktop layouts won't restore. But for sure stuff like emails, contacts, calendars will. As for apps, you'd better ask someone else: I know that in principle you can restore stuff from Google backups, but I tried 10 years ago, didn't find it worked well then and have never bothered since, so can't really say about how well that works or even how to do it. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise on that.

Most phones these days have an app for setting up a new phone and transferring stuff from an old one, usually built-in. After a reset that's effectively what you are doing, so you should be able to use that anyway.

Upvote 0
First, you can transfer contacts via SIM Card. Here's how:
1. On your old phone, export contacts to the SIM card. This option is usually available in the contact settings.
2. Remove the SIM card from the old phone and insert it into your wife's phone.
3. On your wife's phone, import contacts from the SIM card. This option is typically available in the contacts or phone settings.

If both old phones have SD card support, you can use an SD card to transfer photos, videos, and other files as below:
1. Insert an SD card into the old phone.
2. Use the file manager on the old phone to copy the data you want to transfer (e.g., photos, and videos) to the SD card.
3. Remove the SD card from the old phone and insert it into your wife's phone.
4. Use the file manager on your wife's phone to copy the data from the SD card to the desired location on your wife's phone.

And you can also use a third-party tool like Coolmuster Mobile Transfer, MobiKin Transfer for Mobile, etc. to help you transfer data between them. Since they are both running on Android OS, you can transfer data like contacts, text messages, photos, video, music, apps, books, call logs between them from the computer. However, such a tool is not free. About the details, you can search online. Hope this will be your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones