• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup Samsung Android Phone

Matty72

May 18, 2023
I have recently migrated from iPhone to a Samsung Android. I am trying to figure out the best way to backup the whole phone so that it could be restored to a new phone including apps, app data, widgets, layout etc. In the settings under "Accounts and backup" and "Smart switch", there is an option for "External storage transfer" to backup to a USB storage device but it's not clear exactly what this backs up.

I have recently migrated from iPhone to a Samsung Android. I am trying to figure out the best way to backup the whole phone so that it could be restored to a new phone including apps, app data, widgets, layout etc. In the settings under "Accounts and backup" and "Smart switch", there is an option for "External storage transfer" to backup to a USB storage device but it's not clear exactly what this backs up.
i use samsung smart switch. it backs up most of my app and its data, but not all. i would use sms backup to backup and restore your text messages. and make sure your google account is all sync'd up. this will make sure that your google contacts and your photos are all saved to the cloud.

Upvote 0
i use samsung smart switch. it backs up most of my app and its data, but not all. i would use sms backup to backup and restore your text messages. and make sure your google account is all sync'd up. this will make sure that your google contacts and your photos are all saved to the cloud.
I backup my contacts and photos separately so not so worried about those.

I installed SMS Backup and performed a backup to Dropbox within minutes. Very user-friendly.

Otherwise I would just like to capture apps, app data, widgets, layout, settings, Wi-Fi / Bluetooth connections etc and backup to Dropbox or a USB connected drive and be able to restore to a new phone. Are these all captured via the following backup mechanism?

Settings-> Accounts and backup - Smart switch -> External storage transfer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones