• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Forums vs ...

Well I am a member at both AC and XDA, and it is always good to have options. I personally have never had any issues with any of the other sites, but I agree with Pup, all the forums have their style as we do ours, to each their own and the more the merrier. I find it best to always read the rules and then skirt the forums to get a feel, after doing that you usually have a feel of the forum. They're all good in their own way, and all offer great Android and other info for all users.

Merry Christmas to all from the staff here @ AF Cheers all.

Reactions: quest7 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I've never been a member of AC. Before joined AF, I was a member of Nokia Forums, but that's very much dead now. Currently I'm also an active member of Oppo Forums, which I think is actually quite good for a company owned forum, in that they don't seem to mind people slating the company and their products...LOL! ...their house rules are quite liberal. Oppo is the device I've got, and most online discussion for this does take place on OF.

I go over there too. It's quite refreshing with the multinational flavor. I like my Oppo.

I do have a membership at Android Central and XDA. Here and Oppo more.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
It's been changed to likes. If you click on your avatar you'll see you forum profile and all your thanks will be there as likes.
Most came over. :p

I agree.. also it helps me to see who I can more believe in some advice or comment.
also I think it give my statements more weight.
I thought it was your heavy avatar. :D

Interesting point about credibility. I wonder if anyone has ever measured or polled for that...

Here at AndroidForums we have @Phases ...so this is the place to be. Other forums don't have him and every forum needs a @Phases.
Also a Phases Minions Union. I've been a member of Local 299 - which one are you in?

Bonus points for anyone who gets the Local 299 reference. :D

Reactions: steve
Upvote 0
Interesting point about credibility. I wonder if anyone has ever measured or polled for that...

yeah.. well when I get advice/info that is counter to my thoughts..

if they have low thanks count.. and high posts. then it is not given much consideration.
but if the poster has a high thanks count .. I think he might know more than I... so I do a little more research into what they say.

thanks = someone appreciates the post .. answers and info
likes = someone enjoys the post .. jokes.. not techy

there is a difference
someone can get a lot of "likes".. but not know anything technical

Upvote 0
This has been a great forum for Android. I've been here for 4 years and I haven't felt the need to look for another place to talk Android.

I'm also on the MacRumors forum. At first, I went there to get help with my wife's iPhone, but found it was a good place to talk about iOS. They also have a forum to talk about non-iOS stuff.
I'm an early MacRumors member - I agree, great site.
yeah.. well when I get advice/info that is counter to my thoughts..

if they have low thanks count.. and high posts. then it is not given much consideration.
but if the poster has a high thanks count .. I think he might know more than I... so I do a little more research into what they say.

thanks = someone appreciates the post .. answers and info
likes = someone enjoys the post .. jokes.. not techy

there is a difference
someone can get a lot of "likes".. but not know anything technical
Funny how much nuance there can be in semantics, isn't it? (And I mean that with zero snark.)

From my chats here and there, I think some see it as you do, some see it the opposite on likes vs thanks, some see no difference, and others see it as a useless popularity contest because sometimes the majority opinion isn't always the best answer. (Remember when task killer advice ruled? I bought it, Sprint insisted on installing it before I left the store and it was a required step on their customer support site. Lol live and learn.)

I'm going somewhere, so bear with me.

Before we had just thanks.

Some of the mods were chatting about the best way to draw attention to better answers so we asked for a best answer promotion. Rob, Phases and the devs focused on the wrong word and for a short time we got the Google +1 and several other ways to socialize a post link.

Not what we wanted or asked for so debate ensued and eventually we got the second post vote and that was called the like. Then we all got confused after the fact and lunatic59 retcon'd the definitions of thanks and likes, very similar to your own and we've rolled with that, sometimes using both for a double +good vote.

Today we finally have what we asked for originally - a vote for best answer button.

And a +1 button with the word like.

So - propose a word that can be thanks or like and we can propose it to the powers above. No promises that they'll respond but it's worth a shot.

I am constant like the Northern ... Spruce.

Really?

I always think of you as more Northern Exposure. :D

Upvote 0
frankly I object to everything.

but no one pays me any mind...
Puni human!

Mark-Ruffalo-as-the-Hulk--008.jpg

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I used to hang some at XDA and still log into my account occasionally. But I've really lost interest in rooting/modding. In fact, I no longer believe in rooting a daily driver - but I digress...

I have accounts in a couple of Linux forums, couple of other nontechnical ones, but I gradually found myself spending most of my forum time here. When I quit hanging at XDA I wanted to find an Android forum that was active, n00b-friendly, more general knowledge than technical and well run. After XDA I was burnt out on answering questions on borked rooting attempts. I just wanted to be able to yak and offer what help I could in a pleasant online environment. AF was the only place I found that met all those requirements.

So here I am...hangin' out, bothering people and occasionally making a fool of myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones