• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Gingerbred (3.0) info

;)

I'm guessing you haven't read this yet then? Motorola Droid X Review

Still think you can trust everything you read at Gizmodo? ;):D

A negative REVIEW doesn't make you unreliable. That said, I totally agree with them in their review. The camera quality is pretty sad for what it claims to be, made worse by the only software update to date, which for many people actually caused major flaws. And all of the moto software aside from the keyboard drastically takes away from the beauty and usability of the phone. It is for these reasons I am anxious for the 2.2 update (motoblur will still be there, but maybe it'll be a bit more polished) but if 3.0 makes the 3rd party UIs harder to do, then that is great news as maybe moto will finally dump blur and it's bloat. To be honest, reading this I was relieved I wasn't the only one.

Upvote 0
I'm sure this is a total newb question but what would be the point in releasing Froyo in September only to then release Gingerbread a month or two later?

Why even release Froyo in that case?

For someone that has come from the original BB storm I dont really care about when I get Froyo. The Droid X is awesome enough as it is with 2.1 at least for me. Aside from Flash I dont even know that I'd notice the differences

What makes you think the DX is even getting gingerbread?

I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola left the X in the dust after 4G uber-phones start coming out.

If we do ever get gingerbread, it'll be in Q1 2011. Motorola will be releasing another android phone (maybe Droid Pro?) for the holiday season.

Let's all hope we can get some custom ROMs on this baby soon, eh?

Upvote 0
A negative REVIEW doesn't make you unreliable. That said, I totally agree with them in their review. The camera quality is pretty sad for what it claims to be, made worse by the only software update to date, which for many people actually caused major flaws. And all of the moto software aside from the keyboard drastically takes away from the beauty and usability of the phone. It is for these reasons I am anxious for the 2.2 update (motoblur will still be there, but maybe it'll be a bit more polished) but if 3.0 makes the 3rd party UIs harder to do, then that is great news as maybe moto will finally dump blur and it's bloat. To be honest, reading this I was relieved I wasn't the only one.

You just need an alternative launcher and you're rid of the blur stuff. Not mentioned by Gizmodo or any other reviewer for that matter. Some people like the blur and the fact that you can disable it perhaps should be seen more as an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

Upvote 0

I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola left the X in the dust after 4G uber-phones start coming out.

If we do ever get gingerbread, it'll be in Q1 2011. Motorola will be releasing another android phone (maybe Droid Pro?) for the holiday season.

I don't see motorola launching a phone that is much better than the X due to the TI OMAP they use.OMAP 3630 is pretty much the top of the line, and TI JUST announced the licensing of ARM Cortex 9 which 4XXX will use. It will be a WHILE before anything with OMAP 4XXX comes out.
Texas Instrument is first licensee of next generation ARM Cortex processor Boy Genius Report

Upvote 0

we wont see any 4g phones on verizon for at least a year or more. so, i would bet the x will get gingerbread. after all, the moto droid was the FIRST to get 2.2.

Upvote 0
Verizon is introducing LTE networking early 2011 and more so throughout the rest of that year. They estimate 75% of the United States will be covered by it by sometime near the middle of 2012 if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Just now realizing that you said 4G phones and not networking, but you get the idea. I guess I don't know anything about when they will be receiving LTE capable phones.

Upvote 0
-Also for most, the update does not mean much, unless the device was having problems earlier.

Seems an odd thing to say (rumors or not), given that we know very little about the 3.0 update for certain other strong rumors that it's UI centric. There could be many many improvements for all we know, or just speed and fluidity improvements, etc, etc. But we don't know now, so I for one wouldn't speculate as to how much the update means....

Upvote 0
and this might be one of those gingerbread devices
psp-mockupengadget.jpg

PSPhone Exclusive: Sony Ericsson to introduce Android 3.0 gaming platform and PSP Go-like smartphone -- Engadget

captivate, droid 2, or droid pro didn't deter from having my X, but I'm a gamer and this.
Gingerbread and Sony backing the games.

Upvote 0
we wont see any 4g phones on verizon for at least a year or more. so, i would bet the x will get gingerbread. after all, the moto droid was the FIRST to get 2.2.

I read an interview of a Verizon exec that said 25 to 30 markets will have LTE by the end of this year. The first LTE devices will be data cards for laptops, but the first LTE phones should follow in Q1 of next year. If Gingerbread releases late this year, that is about the right time to see it on 4G devices.

Google Verizon LTE roadmap and you'll find all kinds of sources for that time frame.

Upvote 0
yeah, our Chief Technical Officer gave an interview back in Feb about LTE.
all i can say is, it is VERY unlikely there will be 4G phones by Q1. they are still working out whether or not they will have dual radio devices (CDMA for voice, LTE for data) or if they will start with voice over LTE on devices. because, LTE will use SIM cards, where CDMA will not. that's not really the biggest issue, but it's an example of them.
of course, nothing is official, but as of right now it's not looking like there will be LTE phones for some time.
trust me, i want it to happen just as much as everyone else here. i dont want to be debbie downer, but i just dont see it happening Q1. most of the leaked info is on target with current plans. but nothing that was actually leaked from verizon actually says LTE phones any time early next year. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones