• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android help

ronyzmbow

Mar 20, 2013
I am no expert - I am over 55 years old - and I am quite new to the world of Android and tablets. I am using Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 running Android OS, v2.2 (Froyo).
I am asking for help about 3 things -

1.Shortcuts for application - my device has 8GB internal memory and 32GB on an external Micro SD card - I usually move applications to the external SD cars. The problem is that shortcuts I have created for these application - disappear after some time. The other shortcuts stay. Why and how I can prevent it.

2.Downloads - in the User Manual there is an icon for Downloads - in the device there is no such icon...where are the downloads stored? How can access the downloads area? is there a recommended application to deal with downloads?

3.In my PC use utilities program to keep my PC in shape? How do you do it in Android?

Other question I have - Is there a recommended beginners guide - tutorial or Youtube clip for Android?
Are newer version of Android a big improvement over the old ones?

Thanks for any assistance )))

2. You can download a file manager (I use File Expert) to locate your downloads. Or you can look through the files of your phone on your computer. They should be in your internal storage/downloads.

3. Usually you don't need to do anything excess for your Android device unless it's an emergency.

Yes, the newer versions of Android are a big improvement over Froyo.
The new features are very useful and handy at times.

I could link you some, but it depends on your device. UIs such as Touchwiz for Samsung, stock AOSP for Nexus devices, Sense for HTC devices, etc alter how the layout of the software of the phone looks like. :)

If you're talking about your Galaxy S Wifi 5.0, here's a pretty detailed walkthrough for it.
Samsung Galaxy S Player 5/WiFi 5.0 - Features Walkthrough - YouTube

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones