• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Live Scores

I've been using Live Scores a while as well although I've juggled between Score Center (which I don't like) and it. I just downloaded Sports Tap this morning and then stumbled upon this thread. Live Sports is definitely the best of the bunch I've tested thus far, although there's a few additions/fixes I'd love to see:

-Notifications aren't perfect but I noticed that last week during the Saturday football games I was getting score updates much more frequently than in weeks past. I assume this is from the update. It's still not perfect but alot better than it was.

-The entire interface is a bit disjoined, I think (as mentioned above) it's because everything goes through the menu. Settings, Alert Info, Team Info, etc, more controls on-screen would be nice. Team Settings especially, the two windows on top of each other just looks odd. I'd prefer a side-by-side with easier controls for adding and removing teams. I'd especially love to see the ability to add more than one team at a time. I'm big into SEC football, I want to follow all the SEC teams, instead of one swift move I've got to move 12 teams separately.

-The app itself seems to be a little sluggish at times. Switching to different menus, changing sports, etc. It feels like it should be faster, maybe I'm crazy though.

-One thing I love about Sports Tap is that it tells you what TV channel the nationally televised games will be on. I'd love to see this in Live Scores, maybe taking it a step further and letting us enter our region or zip code so it lets you know what network even the regional games will be on.

-More pre-game in depth analysis and team statistics. Sports Tap/ESPN give me the game preview complete with point spread, team stats, etc. You've got buttons that let me vote on who I think will win... I'm not sure what you want the goal of Live Scores to be but personally I'm looking for a one stop "all the info I want" app.

Overall your app is great, I won't be ditching it for Sports Tap but I wanted to see what it was like. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks Kabob,

Knowing the channel would be pretty awesome... Let me add that to my todos.

Speed was improved from 1.4.3 -> 1.4.4 around getting data and displaying on the screen.

A lot of the nav is clunky but functionality has been our top priority to date. As we approach our functionality goal, we can spend less time on new features and more time on beautification. ;)

Upvote 0
I love how the score updates work even when the app isn't running. I had a thought while watching football yesterday though:

I am getting alerts from a ton of different schools, I think you need to list the school name instead of the mascot. I'm following the LSU Tigers and the Auburn Tigers. When an alert pops up and it just says "Tigers" it's a bit confusing. I know on most sports it's a non-issue but on college sports there's so many schools with the same mascot it gets confusing.

Upvote 0
I love how the score updates work even when the app isn't running. I had a thought while watching football yesterday though:

I am getting alerts from a ton of different schools, I think you need to list the school name instead of the mascot. I'm following the LSU Tigers and the Auburn Tigers. When an alert pops up and it just says "Tigers" it's a bit confusing. I know on most sports it's a non-issue but on college sports there's so many schools with the same mascot it gets confusing.

Maybe I can check to see if the names match and add the school name if they do.

Upvote 0
The app can't compete with the TV. ;)

Well, I mean the app will say its 1 and 10 on the 15 yard line, and the football field graphic shows the ball on the 30 yard line or whatever. Also, would it be possible to show lines for line of scrimmage and first down on the field for a little visual help? That'd be nice (as long as its current :D)

Reactions: aarontharris
Upvote 0
Maybe I can check to see if the names match and add the school name if they do.

That'd be pretty cool. I mean, earlier this year we had the Clemson Tigers vs. the Auburn Tigers. Next week we'll get the LSU Tigers vs. the Auburn Tigers. If I get an alert that says "Tigers 7, Tigers 14" I'm going to be horribly confused...

I'm also following the Georgia Bulldogs and the Samford Bulldogs...the crazyness never ends!

Other than that though it was spot on with score alerts this past weekend. I agree with the above poster though. I was folliwing the South Carolina vs. Kentucky game and Kentucky took the lead at the very end with SC marching down the field. For 5 mins or so it said "SC 1st & 10 at their 14" or something of the sort...I kept wondering how it ended...

Upvote 0
Updating still been working perfectly...other than I'm still not sure I always get start of game notifications. I've seen a few times where the first score is my first notification. Might not be a bad idea to set the start of game notification to come, say 5,10 or 15 minutes before the game starts.

As a pretty new user, I'm curious how do you handle your release schedule. Do you just release an update when you've added a significant amount of features or do you do more incremental updates?

Any clues as to what's coming in the next update (and maybe an estimate of when)?

Great app though and looking forward to it getting better.

Upvote 0
Updating still been working perfectly...other than I'm still not sure I always get start of game notifications. I've seen a few times where the first score is my first notification. Might not be a bad idea to set the start of game notification to come, say 5,10 or 15 minutes before the game starts.

As a pretty new user, I'm curious how do you handle your release schedule. Do you just release an update when you've added a significant amount of features or do you do more incremental updates?

Any clues as to what's coming in the next update (and maybe an estimate of when)?

Great app though and looking forward to it getting better.

We try to be quick and keep updates short, but it depends on the size or complexity of the feature(s). When I can, I shoot for no longer than monthly releases but even that feels long (agile baby).

Upvote 0
Well, I mean the app will say its 1 and 10 on the 15 yard line, and the football field graphic shows the ball on the 30 yard line or whatever. Also, would it be possible to show lines for line of scrimmage and first down on the field for a little visual help? That'd be nice (as long as its current :D)

Oh I see, I must have misunderstood. This is valuable info (and a bug) I'll add this to the list. Thanks!

Upvote 0
My updates have been spot on. Watching the Broncos/Jets, the score updates happened in less than a minute after they happened. Even when a score was under review, it waited then when the score was allowed, BAM, updated. Very quick and improved.

I've said this a gazillion times before, but I REALLY would like a more compact interface that shows all the scores of the games on one screen for quick reference. The GUI now is so large and I hate scrolling line by line to find other games. These phones have such good resolution, you can afford to lose some point sizes!

OK, I won't mention it again. The smaller, more compact score screens. Not again. :)

Upvote 0
My updates have been spot on. Watching the Broncos/Jets, the score updates happened in less than a minute after they happened. Even when a score was under review, it waited then when the score was allowed, BAM, updated. Very quick and improved.

Niiice

I've said this a gazillion times before, but I REALLY would like a more compact interface that shows all the scores of the games on one screen for quick reference. The GUI now is so large and I hate scrolling line by line to find other games. These phones have such good resolution, you can afford to lose some point sizes!

OK, I won't mention it again. The smaller, more compact score screens. Not again. :)

You could pick your favorite teams so they float to the top of the scores page?

Upvote 0
Great work on this app! I just tried it today for the first time during the Giant's game and I loved it! It was noticably ahead of the updates from SportsTap.

My only suggestion after my brief first try....is more about the looks. I like the way SportsTap looks....while I felt this app was a bit more basic in appearance.

A very minor grip though.

Great work!

RIDE

Upvote 0
Great work on this app! I just tried it today for the first time during the Giant's game and I loved it! It was noticably ahead of the updates from SportsTap.

My only suggestion after my brief first try....is more about the looks. I like the way SportsTap looks....while I felt this app was a bit more basic in appearance.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
Is this the same as Yahoo! Live Scores? I got an email from yahoo advertising Yahoo! Live Scores, but I couldn't find that name in the Market or under yahoo apps in the market.
I think so. The developer has indicated earlier in the thread that he works for Yahoo!

Seems as if there's some naming differences between the Android and iPhone versions. Did the email specifically state that the app was for Android?

Either way, sounds like you are in the right place.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of a static menu, but only to the extent of selecting a specific sport. I think it would be awesome to select specific sports that interest me (maybe 4 or 5) to list at the bottom that I could switch between without hitting the menu button. From there I could go into the menu options for standings, stats, etc.

Upvote 0
I think so. The developer has indicated earlier in the thread that he works for Yahoo!

Seems as if there's some naming differences between the Android and iPhone versions. Did the email specifically state that the app was for Android?

Either way, sounds like you are in the right place.

Thanks, and yes the email said it was Yahoo! Live Scores for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones