• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Market Problems 30/08/10

I'm on Vodafone on HTC Desire. I've had this Desire since launch (31st March) with no market problems before now. Tried downloading today and gets stuck with 'download unsuccessful', no matter what I try to install or update. Not used market for about 3 days prior to that though so not sure when it started. Have 40Mb free so not a space issue. Have cleared cache and data from download manager and market apps. Have removed SD card also. Am able to browse, select install, get 'downloading' for about 1-5 seconds (no progress) and then 'download unsuccessful'.

Not sure what might have contributed to it - I'm still on googlemail.com e-mail address (don't want to change it). I also downloaded the Fennec apk file to install. Did so and it didn't work so uninstalled it. That was about 2 days ago.

Think the market has been updated somehow and maybe it's screwed permissions for Voda Desires.

Upvote 0
I'm now having the same problem...

I tried to update a few apps but keeps saying 'Download Unsuccessful'. It's been like this for a few days now.

I can't see it being a Googlemail to Gmail problem as I had ported to the gmail address out months ago without any problems.

Strangely it let me install an app earlier today which despite downloading through wi-fi, downloaded at a shockingly slow rate (1mb size!).

Dunno what's going on...

Upvote 0
I'm also having issues with this. I've been trying to download the Twitter app, but with no luck. I also tried a couple of other apps as well just to see if it was an issue with the Twitter app, but I'm getting the same issue with all of the apps I've attempted to download.

I've cleared some space on my handset by getting rid of a load of apps I never use, but that hasn't helped.

I'm on an HTC Hero, which I've rooted and have one of the MoDaCo roms installed (the first GSM 2.1 rom from MoDaCo based on the Taiwanese release).

Oh, and I'm on the 3UK network.

Upvote 0
Just not right this is.. 3rd time in 2 months i have had this issue - i even did the change to gmail trick which messed my phone up even more, but i got downloads working for a few hours.

And to make matters worse, i have just had 2 iphone users taking the piss out of me because my market aint working and there's is...

Time for a new phone i think.....

Upvote 0
I was just about to post a thread on this subject. My Twitter app wouldn't log in today (kept just saying logging in) so I uninstalled it, but then couldnt get it to redownload again with out getting the 'download unsuccessful' message all the time, tried out downloads/updates and getting the same message. Hope it sorts itself soon, as I dont have a twitter app now :(

Upvote 0
I have been having the issue for probably a couple weeks. It is hit and miss. I did have a couple apps that said there was an update that it would never download. Most the time my problem is it will download but not install. I have to click cancel download then click install again. It will normally work then.

Upvote 0
Well, I finally found a cure. After trying all the various workarounds on the web (including the clear cache and data on market), I went through the following:

Went into airplane mode (just to stop any sync issues)
Cleared all possible cache/data on the following:

Market
Market updater
Download manager
Google Mail + Google * (i.e. any other google apps)
HTC Checkin Service
Talk

Then I turned off phone. Turned back on. Then took out of airplane mode. Then market started working. Must be an issue with one of the other google apps which uses my creds.

BTW, I had previously just cleared cache/data for the market app (and force closed it) and market updater and download manager and chat. Those didn't work by themselves. When I cleared out anything which pulls on the google account it all started working again.

Reactions: Fatwaz
Upvote 0
Well, I finally found a cure. After trying all the various workarounds on the web (including the clear cache and data on market), I went through the following:

Went into airplane mode (just to stop any sync issues)
Cleared all possible cache/data on the following:

Market
Market updater
Download manager
Google Mail + Google * (i.e. any other google apps)
HTC Checkin Service
Talk

Then I turned off phone. Turned back on. Then took out of airplane mode. Then market started working. Must be an issue with one of the other google apps which uses my creds.

BTW, I had previously just cleared cache/data for the market app (and force closed it) and market updater and download manager and chat. Those didn't work by themselves. When I cleared out anything which pulls on the google account it all started working again.

i'll have to give this a whirl cos like others i can not download anything from the market which is driving me bonkers.i have 5 updates available and have tried to download snesboid and angry birds today and every single one is download unsucessful.have tried the clearing market data and cache but no good

thank you mate all works now and updates and downloads working again.cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones