• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android or iPad app for background video calling?

androsis

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Question. I'm decicing between an iPad or waiting for the "Google Tablet" that's coming out. One thing I need is to use the tablet for GMail video chat. I would like it so that when you turn on the device from a cold boot and due to inactivity it goes to sleep the Google Talk app or Vtok on iPad is still running in the background. Then anyone can call the tablet through GMail and the device will wake and ring. Is this possible with Google Talk or Vtok or any other app on either tablet? If not in sleep mode how about active use of tablet like a game, but with the video chat app constantly running in the background? I'd like to stay with Google Video chat, but maybe Skype or others will work? I can't use facetime because it's apple only. Even better would be for the video app to wake and autoanswer.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones