• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Resurrecting an Old Android Phone

I have an old android phone that I would like to use for things other then a phone.
No SIM card, just Wi-Fi.
The phone is alive, old installed apps work.
When I try to access Play Store it wants a "Google sign-in". It has prefilled my gmail address as the Username and asks for a password. I give it the password but it won't authenticate it.
I can use the same username and password to log in to Google Play on my desktop or tablet.
What can I do?

Note, this is an old Verizon phone.
LG Vortex.
When I try to add it to my Google Play devices I am told to use Google Maps on the phone. Google Maps is not installed on the phone so that won't work.

yeah i agree, try resetting the phone. and then sign in to your google account when it asks after booting up. make sure that you do this within the phone's settings. if you do a hard reset, you will trip FRP and will need to use the same account info it was originally used. if you do decide to do a hard reset, make sure that you have that info ready.

edit: hard reset is a combination of volume buttons, home and the power button:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have an old android phone that I would like to use for things other then a phone.
No SIM card, just Wi-Fi.
The phone is alive, old installed apps work.
When I try to access Play Store it wants a "Google sign-in". It has prefilled my gmail address as the Username and asks for a password. I give it the password but it won't authenticate it.
I can use the same username and password to log in to Google Play on my desktop or tablet.
What can I do?

Note, this is an old Verizon phone.
LG Vortex.
When I try to add it to my Google Play devices I am told to use Google Maps on the phone. Google Maps is not installed on the phone so that won't work.
Google continuously deprecates old Android versions, for security purposes. Currently, devices have to have Android 5 or higher in order to be supported by Google Play

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones