• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's wrong with a 7 year old Chromebook that doesn't get updates?

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I only need a few basic apps
7 year old Chromebooks are pretty cheap
Someone told me Google Play will stop working??
That would stop be from buying
Is this really the case? Surely Google Play will go on working - maybe the latest apps requiring latest OS wouldn't work... but surely everything else would be OK

That all makes no sense to me. I've got Android phones that haven't had updates in years - they still work with Google Play
Yes, I can't download all apps - but there's a massive choice regardless

I've got an iPhone 4 - that is completely useless. I think it's criminal of Apple to shut off Apple Store

Any thoughts?

I am using a 16 year old Dell Vostro that runs Windows 7. Still supports YouTube, the modern web, and everything I need it to do.

7 years old ain't nothing. My Acer C720 is 9 years old, and while I no longer use it, it was working in December of 2021 and I watched Markiplier's playthrough of FNAF: Security Breach on it. It was no good with multiple tabs but that was a problem when it was new (it's a garbage device with garbage specs) but it never had the Play Store (it has the latest Chrome OS, or at least it has the Android 12 look) and I just got Chrome Web Store. I still say the 'android support' and 'play store' are myths on ChromeOS. I can't even find them on modern ones at Walmart.

But I don't use app stores even on Android. I use unsupported devices for various reasons (avoiding updates that change stuff and forcing me to adapt and relearn everything to name one) so APK sideloading is the only way to install anything since Play Store is basically broken. It's not what I'd call essential.

Google Play Store so far stopped working as of September of 2020 on Android 2.3, but no news that it will stop working on any version of Android 3.0 and up, or Chrome OS if it actually runs on that, so you'll be fine. But keep in mind that any Google app has a limited lifespan and I no longer rely on them after being booted off Google+, Google Reader, Google Inbox, and Google Play Music.

See Killed by Google

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Older Chromebooks have older hardware parts, and these parts eventually lose the ability to get the latest updates.
That's what Google says, but I find that hard to believe. My MacBook Pro, which is over ten years old, can run a mondern Linux. Google made Chrome OS Flex, which is meant for old computers such as my MacBook. And yet a seven-year-old Chromebook is too old to get updates?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones