• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Phone doesn't receice imeasages.

DB23

Lurker
Sep 30, 2023
I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Fe 5G phone. About 3 days ago my phone started to not receive messages from iPhone users. I am able to call iPhone users and also receive any form of image from them but not a text. I am able to see their replies in the group chat that I'm in, which is made up of iPhone and android users. Whenever someone who uses a iPhone and sends me a text directly, I can't see what their reply was. I am able to text them but not the other way around. I tried everything from resetting network connecting, clearing my cache and data from the messages app, airplane mode, reseting phone and even called my phone carrier to see if they can help but no one has been able to help.

This is something that the sender using Apple's iMessage app has to look into. Have them check the Settings menu in their iMessage app so that SMS and MMS for non-Apple users is enabled.

This isn't a fixable problem with your phone nor your carrier so don't bother trying to correct the problem on your end. This is just a long-standing incompatibility matter between Android and iOS users. It's not really something any of us can fix, this is just a pissing match involving corporate interests at the expense of all of us, the consumers who pay them to buy their products. Basically, SMS and MMS are the only two protocols that allow Android and iPhone users interact with each other.
Aside from a few outliers, almost all Android text messaging apps include at least cursory support for SMS and MMS, and conversely those two are the only non-iMessage protocols that Apple includes in its iMessage app.

Have you ever owned an iPhone? Because as others have said it sounds like Apple's iMessage system thinks that you have an iPhone and so the iPhones are trying to send you iMessages (which only iDevices can receive). It's odd for this to suddenly start, because usually the way this happens is that someone switches to Android but doesn't remember to sign out of iMessage first, with the result that iPhones think they are still iMessage users. Apple eventually (when threatened with class action lawsuits, not before) provided a way of signing out over the web without an iPhone, so if you were previously an iPhone user maybe you should look this up and give it a try, because it could be that something has gone wrong there and they have re-activates iMessage on your account? As I say, I've not heard of that before, but logically it's possible and could produce this result.

(This whole mess is indeed corporations doing what corporations do, i.e. being self-serving and to hell with their customers. Apple did discuss internally making iMessage cross-platform, but decided to keep it Apple-only to help lock in their users. They also took no action on the problem I described above for about 2 years before legal threats forced them to act: it suited them, because many switchers would assume that the problem was that Android was broken and switch back. Then a few years ago Google tried pushing networks to adopt the RCS standard for advanced messaging (which they did not invent but are currently the only users of) in a transparent effort to undermine iMessage by having a universal, built-in first party advanced message system. Apple of course refused to allow it on iPhones, so few networks adopted it, and so we now have a situation where Google's Messages app and Samsung's Messages app support iMessage-like features through an RCS system hosted by Google, which effectively mirrors iMessage on iOS: very similar features, hosted by the OS owner, only available on one platform.

In Europe at least most people deal with this by just using a third party app that works across platforms. So the main beneficiary of this mess has been Facebook, because they own WhatsApp...).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones