• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android's inevitable fate: Herd 2.0

Is it just me or has Phandroid.com seen a rise in mindless android posters lately?

With android marketshare going up or at the very least maintaining its position of the largest mobile OS in use it has ushered in a new age.
Well that is the way I am experiencing it and I want to know if I am the only one that feels this way.

So here is what I see happening in the comment section of Phandroid's articles:

Fandroids popping up EVERYWHERE!
I am not talking about Android users, Android appreciators or Android ignorants. (The first two being people that like Android, but don't worship it as their new god and the latter being the people who buy android phones without knowing a thing about android.)
I am talking about Fandroids, the mindless possessed herd that preach Android!

I used to dislike Apple because of the"Apple/Steve Jobs is God"-attitude, but as I spend some time with people who own iPhones and/or iPads, I learned that those are actually great products. No, I would never spend money on them, but I could see why some rational person might. It offers simplicity, it is easy to use and doesn't require you to spend ages going through all the settings to get it to work. Sure this comes at the price of customization and lack of features, but not everyone wants that. Some people just want a good looking phone with which they can make a call and read email. So I understood why people could like those products and I even recommended some of those people to go with iOS over android.
But that didn't change the fact that there were iSheep who kissed the ground Steve Jobs walked, praised every non-sensical statement apple made and bashed any other opinion. I changed my attitude from hating Apple, to disliking mindless iSheep. (Given Apple's suing spree I do dislike them, but as they are a commercial company I can understand their actions)

Anyway, fast-forward to current day.
I read an article about the lawsuits between apple and samsung and what do I see? The same idiotic comments I am used to hear from iSheep, only this time they are coming from Android users.
There are still a lot of people with common sense posting there, but saying 1 positive thing about Apple (whether it is an opinion, a fact or some other harmless statement) and the RAGE of the Fandroids is ignited!
I understand that there are people that come to those articles to bash android and praise Apple ( those people need to get a hobby), but I am not talking about those people. I am talking about people that normally express their opinion about the matter, which happens to favour Apple in at least one way. Making the simple comment that you think the Galaxy S looks copied from the iPhone gets you a reply-spree bashing your opinion.

Am I the only one who sees this? Have we gone from being the better man (and better OS users) to their level of name calling, opinion bashing and other mindless activities?
I thought android users were better than that, but it seems that Android has gotten its own herd of mindless followers similar to the iSheep.

This was to be expected of course with androids market share rising so high, but I never expected to see such drivel in comments on phandroid articles.

But it could also just be me, so I ask you: Is it just me or are some of you seeing similar things?

Reactions: DragonSlayer95
Ummm...Android users aren't any better humans than others so hardly surprising you see similar behaviour from them.

Humans are humans. Whether they use android, iphone, symbian, meego, blackberry or what you care to name.

Now what does happen is that the % of people you mention stays roughly the same. Let's say 0.1% of user population. Now when iphone had say 10000 users and android 10 there were 100 "isheep" and 0.1 "fandroid". No wonder fandroids appeared to be nonexistant.

Fast forward to this day and say there's now 52000 android user(obviously I'm just making numbers up) and 50000 iphone users. Now fandroids are 52 vs 50 isheep. No wonder behaviour starts to look similar...

Ratio stays same but there's more noise causers and since they are always the noisiest then after some critical number has been reached and there's enough of them then they appear to be more prevelant than they actually are.

Upvote 0
Ummm...Android users aren't any better humans than others so hardly surprising you see similar behaviour from them.

Humans are humans. Whether they use android, iphone, symbian, meego, blackberry or what you care to name.

Very much true, but as I mentioned in the post: There are reasonable iPhone users and reasonable Android users.
I know that there are also the mindless users for both OS's, but what I was wondering if it was just me that has seen a sudden rise in those mindless users posting on Phandroid or whether they were always there (or whether you think they aren't there)

When I first started visiting this website I never noticed any mindless android users.

I expect there to be more mindless android users as android market shares rise, but I didn't expect them so much on Phandroid.com
They are kinda ruining the comment section for me. It seems to become like every android/windows/apple/google article on Engadget.com

Upvote 0
When I first started visiting this website I never noticed any mindless android users.

I expect there to be more mindless android users as android market shares rise, but I didn't expect them so much on Phandroid.com
They are kinda ruining the comment section for me. It seems to become like every android/windows/apple/google article on Engadget.com

I notice mindless users of all devices in various web sites. What I try to do is not engage any such commenters in the article comments. Once you engage them whether you agree or disagree, it just gives them more power. I generally just try to engage with the more sensible commenters if you want to have any type of meaningful discussion.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the love or hate of something you purchase or devotion to those platforms and companies which make them. Those bits of plastic and metal won't ever love you back, and giants such as Google and Apple certainly won't defend you as staunchly or even give a damn you exist, and rightly so. They are in business.
Seems some folks will always feel the need to denigrate others choices to simply validate their own and it sadly happens in many walks of life.

Upvote 0
People, please stay on topic:
Is it just me or has Phandroid.com seen a rise in mindless android posters lately?

We all know we should ignore them, how they came to be, that it was inevitable, but the questions is about whether they arrived just recently or whether they were here all the time, but I just never noticed them till recently.

I thinlk I should've made myself clearer......

Upvote 0
There's always the most vocal few everywhere. These are not the majority but they are the ones that get the most attention. The powers that be seem to think that the fanboys speak for the whole group.

I have yet to see one reason to switch to any product. I happen to research all before I buy, pro and con, so I'm probably in the minority. "Cool" and "ease of use" are not reasons. Ease of use doesn't mean ease for my purposes.

The part of the suit about appearance is dumb to some of us. I had a PDA with rounded corners. You can't tell the difference in a digital TV that's off unless you see the brand name. They are all rectangular black boxes.

All of the devices are mini computers anyway. I'd like a system like my desktop. It started as a 286 and is now totally upgraded generically and running the OS of my choice. I like choice. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price for the OS of my choice. If my choice is open source and free, so be it.

Are there or have there been suits about any OS GUI? Apple, Ubuntu, and MS all use a GUI and most are so damn similar that if you know one, you can navigate the other. I always think the programs are the thing.

As for exclusitivity - Opera browser ran on almost every OS you could think of. Yahoo IM was popular. If third parties want to make a profit, they will not appreciate the loss of an audience for the particular product. Some games are now being ported to Linux.

The inner workings probably do have legitimate gripes. Apple has been buying up strange companies just to get the patents. Google and MS have been doing the same. None of this is benefiting consumer choice. One outcome could be a megacompany with all 3 fighting for the brand name use. If they are all paying one another royalties, it's about the same thing.

If any of the companies think that winning the whole shebang will force some of us into their system, that it proves superiority, they are crazy. All it proves is they had better lawyers and influence groups.

Upvote 0
People, please stay on topic:

We all know we should ignore them, how they came to be, that it was inevitable, but the questions is about whether they arrived just recently or whether they were here all the time, but I just never noticed them till recently.

I thinlk I should've made myself clearer......

Well, I don't feel the need to do board raids on apple forums.

The main point is, iphones aren't normally free on contract, or are quite expensive on prepay. Now we have some very decent smartphones, not only android, but the others are catching up too. Apple are just bricking it because at contract renewal time more & more people are thinking "why am I paying for a phone which should be free!?" (on top of their monthly), & apple are just defending their revenue.

Upvote 0
Why do you even quote me if your post has NOTHING to do with my post?

Because you asked "Is it just me or...."

I didn't reply with an "apple vs android" post. You're asking about the midless posts from phandroid users (android users), well I disagree. I see a lot of apple fan boys. Now, if you were asking about android fan boys stirring it up on their forums, that might be different. But I haven't seen it.

If you already know the answer, why ask the question?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones