• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another free laptop

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
As my parents are moving to a new home they discovered an older Dell Inspiron "5000 series" lying around. They gave it to me. Not in too bad of shape, and I'm currently wiping it as we speak, and know for sure the battery is doing the '1-3-5 error' code (charging cycles exceeded) but I don't care about the battery anyway. It's more 'modern' than I'm into, although it has the glossy back and not the boring matte plastic back. Not sure of the specs. It runs Windows 10, and I'm resetting it, but wondering if I should just blow it away and put Windows 7 Pro on it like the rest or have it be the one PC in my home collection with an unmodified, unthemed Windows 10 layout. I'm personally not fond of Windows 10 (and to an extent, Windows 11, although it looks nicer to an extent) or its flat design UI, or how it acts like a polite friend ("All your files are exactly where you left them!") but the effort to theme it to look like Vista/7, or the amount of hell that's involved to get drivers to work from Dell's website (the last one was a 2010 Vostro that for some reason the website listed the wrong wifi driver and video driver...took days to sort out). I might just leave this one alone and keep it as another backup. It's in decent shape.

Anyone know of a skeuomorphic Linux distro? I want to avoid the amount of mess that theming Linux entails (tried that one and only needed that headache once!) but hoping there's one distro out there that at least looks like it's from 2010/2011.

Found the perfect distro for that laptop. Apparently, Q4OS uses a DE known as Trinity that looks straight out of 2008. Out of the box it's got a default theme that resembles Windows 10, but has a ton of built-in themes that can restore classic KDE3 UI design, and comes preloaded with all the period correct apps such as Konquerer, Kmail, Amarok, and Synaptic. Unfortunately, it doesn't include or support IceWeasel, an older Firefox clone. It instead came with Quantum-Firefox which I hate and promptly uninstalled.

Reactions: EdwardMatthew
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones