Another ROM thread

Last Updated:

1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there's a few threads already about ROM's but I want... well, my own one ;)

Basically, I'm using the LeeDrOiD v1.4 ROM (FroYo) but I must say I really don't like it, there's quite a lot of bugs (Internet regularly crashed and lost my open tabs, very jerky, wouldn't work well with LauncherPro, WiFi wouldn't sleep when I wasn't using it, plus more), and ones that are very annoying, battery life isn't great either.

So, what's the best ROM out there, I really do like Sense (the black theme also) so that would be preferable but I normally use LauncherPro but I wouldn't rule out a Stock version.

I like the Sense keyboard, is that available at all if I don't use a Sense ROM? I've used lots of other keyboards and I really can't get used to them at all!

So, that's about it really, any quality ones that I can try?

Also, meant to do this last week but left my charger in a hotel room, nice lady sent it back now \o/ :D

Advertisement
  2. gibbs1984

Also, will I be able to install an official FroYo Sense ROM now?

3. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

why dont you upgrate to LeeDroid 1.8?

4. gibbs1984

Is there an easy to update or do you have to wipe completely and start again?

5. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Typically, you shouldn't have to wipe for an update but sometimes it is necessary. One thing to note is that Titanium backup allows you to easily restore to your setup even after a wipe, although you will have to place widgets and so on again (you just wont have to install them or set their data and settings). Note though that you need to get the pay version to not have to sit over the thing pressing OK at every application install.

In short though - try it without a wipe and see what happens.

gibbs1984 likes this.
  6. DjLukeW

to go from 1.4 to 1.8 yes you need to wipe as there have been tonnes of changes since 1.4

its based on new code, and personally is the best ROM out there. Check the LeeDroid thread on XDA for updates

gibbs1984 likes this.
  7. DjLukeW

also I wouldnt use a program to back up apps, as 1.8 uses A2SD+ and has been known to cause errors with restoring from back ups

8. gibbs1984

Thanks both, just backing up now, how will I reinstall all my apps (apart from memory) if I don't back them up?

I didn't even realise this version was out, last time I looked v1.5 had just come out and it was very buggy.

I like LeeDrOiD, especially the nice WiFi and battery logos but these bugs were so annoying, willing to give this version a go, been reading about the updates on XDA.

9. DjLukeW

Just do it the long way and re install from marker I guess.

Its what I did, instead of risking messing it up. Make sure you create and EXT3 partition on your memory card too and install the new radio

10. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

If you wipe, you should get the Android start-up screens when you reboot - the ones that ask for your email address, show you how to use the keyboard etc. If you complete this startup then Market will download all the apps you had installed when you wiped. I don't know whether it does this only in a Wifi zone or uses 3G if it can't find one. If you skip the setup then it wont do it.

Also that installs or your apps, but it wont install any settings or data e.g. any additional email accounts you had on your client, or RSS feeds etc. Unless of course you backed them up to your SD like e.g. Newsroom allows you to.