• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Any one concerned about accessories?

homegeek

May 28, 2010
Chicago, IL
With Samsung making what appears to be 4 different physical versions of the same phone, what are the chances that all phones will get a good selection of accessories. I really would like a car dock for this phone and I am wondering if Samsung is going to bother making 4 different version of this if any at all.

With Samsung making what appears to be 4 different physical versions of the same phone, what are the chances that all phones will get a good selection of accessories. I really would like a car dock for this phone and I am wondering if Samsung is going to bother making 4 different version of this if any at all.

Defiantly concerned about this as the home dock in the Galaxy S promo is very tempting but with 3-4 US form factors I don't know if they are going to release a special version for each carrier. Although the could always go the route Apple does and release inserts that fit the dock to your particular model.

Upvote 0
True, I was worried about this...perhaps though...if the basic shape and placement of the microusb port are the same it may be that the accessories will work for other versions. We dont have exact measurements. But I am going to try and find top pictures of all the phones to see how they match up.

Upvote 0
I order and got a leather case off ebay that is really nice. For the large sum of $5.49 with free shipping it was listed for the captivate. I did not expect much, I wanted to get something to tide me over until more options come on the market. It is real leather, soft lined insided and has double magnetic closure. The HTC HD2 will also fit this case and they are almost identical in size. I will know in 9 days how the case works.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Defiantly concerned about this as the home dock in the Galaxy S promo is very tempting but with 3-4 US form factors I don't know if they are going to release a special version for each carrier. Although the could always go the route Apple does and release inserts that fit the dock to your particular model.

How can they have a dock with the charging port on the top? What a stupid design. Yea, put it in upside down. :rolleyes::D:cool::eek:

Upvote 0
I'm confused about the accessories... I will be getting the Captivate (which out of all of the Galaxy S model, besides the Epic, seems to be the most different shape-wise) so maybe AT&T will need to sell it's own home and car docks/cradles. Anyway, here's a pic of the original home dock from the Samsung site:

4691771817_372edd82b8_b.jpg

Another strange thing is that an Australian website that was selling them says they are now discontinued.

Samsung Desk Mount - To Suit Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (ECR-P968BEGSTD) | Techbuy Australia

Here are the OEM part number but a search was not turning up much other than the website above:

Desk mount: ECR-P968BEGSTD

I did find some car mount pics/links:

Car mount: ECS-V968BEGSTD

http://www.forcetechnology.com.au/p...03VWN0000000253&next=61&partno=ECS-V968BEGSTD
ECS-V968BEGSTD.jpg

http://www.bidbox.com.au/store.php?desc=Samsung-ECS-V968BEGSTD&specs=10119363
http://force.mobilefulfilment.com.au/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductVariantId=D5EBBE31403B4F91B603

Looks like the car mount takes care of any cabling issues. Once the phone is inserted, slide shut, and connected to the base. The power comes out of the back.

Upvote 0
^^^^ what he said. Landscape mode, mang. Same for your statement on the "tree-like" car application. Landscape mode. Say it w/me.

Sorry, I disagree. Landscape mode is fine when using it as a GPS or to watch movies but when plugged in in my car I like it to be straight up, erect, pointing north, just as nature designed it. It would be used that way 90% of the time.

As with 98.6% of all other phones in the universe it should default to portrait and you can simply have the **OPTION** to rotate it when you want landscape. IMO putting the charging jack on top is plain dumb. They could have accomplished the EXACT SAME THING if it were on the bottom.

I got rid of Sprint (and EVO) and went back to AT&T with the hope of getting this phone but not any more.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I disagree. Landscape mode is fine when using it as a GPS or to watch movies but when plugged in in my car I like it to be straight up, erect, pointing north, just as nature designed it. It would be used that way 90% of the time.
It looks like the OEM car mount would handle this fine per my description above. i.e. the connection is "hidden" and comes out the back of the unit no matter the orientation.

Upvote 0
Dunno.. think I'd rather have: a. windshield-mount (for GMaps/nav) & b. landscape (same reason)

You can get the swivel adapter for most smartphones to switch between the two eh :)

But I can understand the window thing, I just like how the proclip system is designed to go on a certain part of the dash where it won't interfere with other things usually. They usually have 2 sometimes 3 options depending upon the car make/model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones