Any one concerned about accessories?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. homegeek

homegeek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With Samsung making what appears to be 4 different physical versions of the same phone, what are the chances that all phones will get a good selection of accessories. I really would like a car dock for this phone and I am wondering if Samsung is going to bother making 4 different version of this if any at all.

Advertisement
  2. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

Defiantly concerned about this as the home dock in the Galaxy S promo is very tempting but with 3-4 US form factors I don't know if they are going to release a special version for each carrier. Although the could always go the route Apple does and release inserts that fit the dock to your particular model.

3. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Well, there are already a ton of accessories for the i9000, but I guess that's neither here nor there. It's going to take the manufacturers some time to ramp up, but I'm betting they'll all have their own stuff by end of August. I know I submitted the Captivate to zagg.com last month as a device they should cater to...

4. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

True, I was worried about this...perhaps though...if the basic shape and placement of the microusb port are the same it may be that the accessories will work for other versions. We dont have exact measurements. But I am going to try and find top pictures of all the phones to see how they match up.

5. t-readyroc

Well, apparently this guy had issues fitting an i9000 Invisible Shield to his Vibrant, but maybe you're right, maybe the US variants' body types will be more similar...

*Edit - if anyone else wants to submit the Captivate to Zagg... Might get 'em to get the ball rolling...

6. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

I order and got a leather case off ebay that is really nice. For the large sum of $5.49 with free shipping it was listed for the captivate. I did not expect much, I wanted to get something to tide me over until more options come on the market. It is real leather, soft lined insided and has double magnetic closure. The HTC HD2 will also fit this case and they are almost identical in size. I will know in 9 days how the case works.

7. lordmaxx

8. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see a picture of the Captivate next to the Droid X and Evo. I want to see the size difference.

9. t-readyroc

10. Donatron

So nearly identical in size to the Evo, but with a smaller screen? My interest in the Captivate's screen size was largely due to my expectation that it would be smaller than the Evo.

11. rdfaulkner

rdfaulkner Member

This is the Samsung Galaxy S rather than the captivate but it may give you a better idea. Part 1 is somewhere around there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjP4jUfcro

Oh and howdy folks, first post here from a fellow Android fan. Hope to be getting my first Android device in the next week or so.

12. Donatron

The Notification bar is definitely nicer on the Captivate. I like that I'll be able to toggle Wifi, Bluetooth, Silent, and Vibration from the notification bar. No need to hold down the power button or use widgets.

13. jhnstn00

jhnstn00 Well-Known Member

14. jhnstn00

jhnstn00 Well-Known Member

Anyone seen a case yet for Captivate?

15. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

How can they have a dock with the charging port on the top? What a stupid design. Yea, put it in upside down. :rolleyes::D:cool::eek:

16. lordmaxx

The galaxy S official dock has you slide it in sideways and looks quite nice... I was trying to see if their measurements were close enough that a dock could be used by any of them...

wierdly I cant find a picture of the dock anywhere now :p

17. t-readyroc

^^^^ what he said. Landscape mode, mang. Same for your statement on the "tree-like" car application. Landscape mode. Say it w/me.

18. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

I'm confused about the accessories... I will be getting the Captivate (which out of all of the Galaxy S model, besides the Epic, seems to be the most different shape-wise) so maybe AT&T will need to sell it's own home and car docks/cradles. Anyway, here's a pic of the original home dock from the Samsung site:

[​IMG]

Another strange thing is that an Australian website that was selling them says they are now discontinued.

Samsung Desk Mount - To Suit Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (ECR-P968BEGSTD) | Techbuy Australia

Here are the OEM part number but a search was not turning up much other than the website above:

Desk mount: ECR-P968BEGSTD

I did find some car mount pics/links:

Car mount: ECS-V968BEGSTD

http://www.forcetechnology.com.au/p...03VWN0000000253&next=61&partno=ECS-V968BEGSTD
    [​IMG]

http://www.bidbox.com.au/store.php?desc=Samsung-ECS-V968BEGSTD&specs=10119363
    http://force.mobilefulfilment.com.au/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductVariantId=D5EBBE31403B4F91B603

Looks like the car mount takes care of any cabling issues. Once the phone is inserted, slide shut, and connected to the base. The power comes out of the back.

19. t-readyroc

I rly, srsly hope they make one that's compatible w/the Captivate. I definitely would buy one.

20. lordmaxx

yeah thats it...cool...

I'm also going to have to wait on my car adapter I'm sure but hopefully these guys get it done quick:

ProClip Mounting System

21. t-readyroc

Dunno.. think I'd rather have: a. windshield-mount (for GMaps/nav) & b. landscape (same reason)

22. MisterEd

Sorry, I disagree. Landscape mode is fine when using it as a GPS or to watch movies but when plugged in in my car I like it to be straight up, erect, pointing north, just as nature designed it. It would be used that way 90% of the time.

As with 98.6% of all other phones in the universe it should default to portrait and you can simply have the **OPTION** to rotate it when you want landscape. IMO putting the charging jack on top is plain dumb. They could have accomplished the EXACT SAME THING if it were on the bottom.

I got rid of Sprint (and EVO) and went back to AT&T with the hope of getting this phone but not any more.

23. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

It looks like the OEM car mount would handle this fine per my description above. i.e. the connection is "hidden" and comes out the back of the unit no matter the orientation.

24. MisterEd

It would, if (or when) there is one for this device.

25. lordmaxx

You can get the swivel adapter for most smartphones to switch between the two eh :)

But I can understand the window thing, I just like how the proclip system is designed to go on a certain part of the dash where it won't interfere with other things usually. They usually have 2 sometimes 3 options depending upon the car make/model.