• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Paintballers here?

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
I can't be the only android forum user that enjoys a good game of paintball!

I'm just getting back into the sport after a two year break. Just purchased a 2009 PMR and looking forward to this season!

I play speedball, thats where I thrive haha

So anyone else here play? what do you shoot, what type do you play?

Some high school buddies used to play a lot, and I had a college roommate that played on a competition team. I would tag along but I never played seriously. I still have an Airpower Vector in mint shape somewhere in storage that hasn't seen the light of day in at least 10 years. I enjoy just about any outdoor sport, but I've never found the time to get back into paintball for some reason.

Upvote 0
I got into it right before the "boom" of it all.. that happened in the mid 00s so I saw the "rise and fall" of the sport I use to work at the local field as a ref so I got to play for free and had discounted paint prices. Then there was one bad rainy year, where he didn't get to open at all, then the next year he closed up..
I miss some of the things from earlier on, I don't much care for the jerseys anymore, they have all been ruined by some sort of design the designers think make them look better. But this year I plan to get back into it full forced! haha

Upvote 0
I got into it right before the "boom" of it all.. that happened in the mid 00s so I saw the "rise and fall" of the sport I use to work at the local field as a ref so I got to play for free and had discounted paint prices. Then there was one bad rainy year, where he didn't get to open at all, then the next year he closed up..
I miss some of the things from earlier on, I don't much care for the jerseys anymore, they have all been ruined by some sort of design the designers think make them look better. But this year I plan to get back into it full forced! haha

I imagine it's a tough business to be in. Back in the day, we'd go up to Canobie Paintball just across the NH/MA state line for their annual big game, which was (still is?) usually around Thanksgiving. One year, it was just above freezing with a constant drizzle. It wasn't the most enjoyable day at the time--we were wet and tired, and the paint wasn't holding up too well, but is now probably the most memorable time I had playing paintballl. Connecticut has some pretty decent parks, most of which have been around since the 90's, or 80's in the case of Strategy Plus. UCONN has competition club that's been around for a while too. Too bad they don't have scholarships for that!:p

Upvote 0
I imagine it's a tough business to be in. Back in the day, we'd go up to Canobie Paintball just across the NH/MA state line for their annual big game, which was (still is?) usually around Thanksgiving. One year, it was just above freezing with a constant drizzle. It wasn't the most enjoyable day at the time--we were wet and tired, and the paint wasn't holding up too well, but is now probably the most memorable time I had playing paintballl. Connecticut has some pretty decent parks, most of which have been around since the 90's, or 80's in the case of Strategy Plus. UCONN has competition club that's been around for a while too. Too bad they don't have scholarships for that!:p

Dude, those wet games are always the best experience. Just booking it through the forest or wherever and sliding into cover, etc. Times like those make me miss playing as often as I used to. Me and some buddies would go to Skirmish in PA annually for their big game called D-Day. They would re-enact the Invasion of Normandy from WW2. Best time ever.

Upvote 0
Dude, those wet games are always the best experience. Just booking it through the forest or wherever and sliding into cover, etc. Times like those make me miss playing as often as I used to. Me and some buddies would go to Skirmish in PA annually for their big game called D-Day. They would re-enact the Invasion of Normandy from WW2. Best time ever.

Where in PA? Sounds like a blast, so to speak. :p

Upvote 0
I have an Ion XE with just a few basic mods. I really like Speedball, but the amount of paint you run through causes costs to rise pretty quickly. At my local field they pretty much run whatever everyone wants to play or suggests.

One of my favorites is a "Defend the fort" type game where defenders have to hold off the attackers for like 10 minutes and if a defender is hit they become an attacker. Attackers just have to run back to the other side of the field to respawn in.

I'm not a fan of the huge scenario games at all. All it turns into is just both sides lobbing balls across the entire field while hiding behind a mound with almost no one attempting to push up.

Upvote 0
The year before he couldn't open at all he was thriving, he was looking to get a building to do indoor paintball and be open year round.

That year was his 4th year open, and he told me he made more in that year than the previous 3 years combined. I worked for him in the 2nd and 3rd year he was open, and the 3rd year wasn't exactly slow for business either. I remember that year we had at least 10 groups in that season that had 30+ people. But I'm not sure why he chose not to reopen last year when he could have, his lease ran out on the place he was leasing and he had a chance to renew, but said no to it..

My new marker is expected in the mail today haha. Its not the cheapest sport i'll give you that, but the adrenaline rush is great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones