• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any screen protectors that don't suck?

Yes, cleaned up and held under a bright light I cannot see any scratches. I have very bright lights setup at my desk at home for when I'm soldering SMT and its hard to find any imperfection, I'll see a faint line so I'll clean some more and check again and it won't be there. Its defiantly tough glass. I'm very picky on that, was always cleaning it off.

Upvote 0
That's good - sounds like your daily environment isn't too hostile.

It comes down to the concept of hardness - harder materials scratch softer materials. I remember learning Moh hardness scale in 7th grade. On a scale from 1 to 10, talc is a 1 and diamond is a 10. (It's a relative scale, NOT linear). The only thing that scratches diamond is another diamond. Everything else is softer. A ruby is like 8 or 9. Quartz is around 7. Glass is around a 5 if I remember correctly. The Gorilla Glass is hardened, but not sure how much harder it is than normal glass. (Strength and hardness do not necessarily correlate.) Common metallic materials like what is used in keys are very soft and don't scratch glass. However, harder materials like quartz are commonly found in sand and in structural materials, and easily scratch glass.

Upvote 0
Thats why I was trying to give examples of how I am hard on it. between laying on it playing with my kids or when I''m in the driveway doing maintenance, or woodworking or welding. I've pulled it out of my pocket and had to clean the dust and dirt off of the screen and yet its not gotten any scratches.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones