• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews Screen Protectors

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
Google has put out a list of certified protectors that work with their fingerprint sensor. I didn't try any of them. A few weren't available and I don't like the soft protectors. So I tried one from Amazon that had a special circle over the fingerprint sensor. It was by Feitenn and it didn't fit. It was curved to cover the screen but it's design was faulty. It has a thin black band of adhesive around the edge. It lifts the protector away from the screen so you have to press hard to get anything to register and forget about tapping anything around the edges. The adhesive band keeps them from registering.
Then I tried a protector from Whitestone. I've used them for other phones. They are completely different but are great. And they work with the fingerprint sensor. This protector gets bonded to your phone's screen. The kit comes with everything you need including the bonding light and two complete setups.. I strongly suggest you watching the video and reading the instructions. They have thought of everything so you don't have to worry about the bonding resin going where it shouldn't. The most important instruction is the surface HAS TO BE completely level. (use a level tool or a level app before starting) If the surface tilts, even a little, it won't work. After I was done, I reset my fingerprints and they work perfectly. Also, since there have been reports of the screen spontaneously cracking, this should help prevent that. Honestly, I have no interest in the company and the protector lasted over 2 years on my last phone. I started to see slight craze lines so I removed it and put on the second one. I highly recommend it.
One last tip; I read an article a while ago that said how to improve your fingerprint sensor. Scan the fingers you will use two times for each finger. It helps a little.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones