• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any YouTube TV Subscribers

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I currently subscribe to the basic DirecTV service with one add on that is costing me $186.74 monthly. I'm taking a serious look at YT TV. They offer a lot fewer channels with their basic package but mostly provide what the wife and I watch. A few new channels that we don't get now and few we watch aren't included... the normal rub when changing services. The differences between the two that can't be ignored is their pricing. YT TV offers their basic package for $73 monthly with a three month discount incentive for new subscribers. Not considering the discount, my savings per year is almost $1,400 if I were to switch to YT TV. That, my good forum friends, has my attention.

My question to subscribers are just how reliable is their service? What sort of download speed do I need to have for seamless video streaming to two different TVs and the normal device that share the bandwidth? How dependable is their online DVR service and can one FF through commercial breaks? Can multiple channels be simultaneously recorded? Basically I'm asking your opinion on their service. It makes financial sense to make a change to YT TV but not if the service stinks.

I thank you in advance for sharing your opinion.

I, my friend, have YouTube TV and have had the service for years. I have zero complaints. You only need an internet speed of 25mbps for best results, but I am at 1G speed just because I'm a heavy user at home since my job requires it.
OK, the setup is: You install the app on your smartphone, using your Gmail account as the default account with them. Your Gmail address and the YouTube TV password will be used on all of your devices moving forward. You'll need a smart TV or a streaming stick, such as the Amazon firestick or Roku installed only on your TV sets. You'll need to create a username and password for Amazon or Roku... You'll need to download and install the YouTube TV app for each tv... Again, once installed, login with your YouTube TV credentials...
Whew! That's the hard part.
The DVR is handled on the app on your devices, I prefer to use my smartphone for this it's alot easier IMO. Just find your shows from the live TV tab in the app, click the "+" thingy and your show will record... There is NO limit to how many shows you wish to record! Which is awesome! All can be viewed at any time on all of your devices and will stay there for a year unless you decide to delete them. Everything is via Wi-Fi at home. Away from home is cellular, which is just as awesome because even away from home you've got everything at your disposal too.
For 73 a month you can't beat it, and I've tried many streaming services.
Refer me and we both save Join YouTube TV

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230524-064721.png
    Screenshot_20230524-064721.png
    295.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20230524-064735.png
    Screenshot_20230524-064735.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I, my friend, have YouTube TV and have had the service for years. I have zero complaints. You only need an internet speed of 25mbps for best results, but I am at 1G speed just because I'm a heavy user at home since my job requires it.
OK, the setup is: You install the app on your smartphone, using your Gmail account as the default account with them. Your Gmail address and the YouTube TV password will be used on all of your devices moving forward. You'll need a smart TV or a streaming stick, such as the Amazon firestick or Roku installed only on your TV sets. You'll need to create a username and password for Amazon or Roku... You'll need to download and install the YouTube TV app for each tv... Again, once installed, login with your YouTube TV credentials...
Whew! That's the hard part.
The DVR is handled on the app on your devices, I prefer to use my smartphone for this it's alot easier IMO. Just find your shows from the live TV tab in the app, click the "+" thingy and your show will record... There is NO limit to how many shows you wish to record! Which is awesome! All can be viewed at any time on all of your devices and will stay there for a year unless you decide to delete them. Everything is via Wi-Fi at home. Away from home is cellular, which is just as awesome because even away from home you've got everything at your disposal too.
For 73 a month you can't beat it, and I've tried many streaming services.
Refer me and we both save Join YouTube TV
Your insight is truly appreciated my friend!! I'm paying for a 500mbps plan at present but testing my speed I'm only getting 94mbps down and 15 up. I don't know what's up with that but plan to check with my provider. AT&T recently added fiber to my area and offer their 500mbps plan at half the cost of my current provider. A change of service would save me another $600 a year and would likely come closer to providing a more reliable service with faster speeds. (cable is over the air on original lines installed vs new buried fiber) However, I've had the same email address for decades now. Changing that address would be a nightmare.

I'm not a heavy user of the DVR. I do like to record a game and watch it delayed eliminating commercials. My wife, on the other hand, only watches recorded shows. She binge watches old series and always has her shows marked to record all. Is it possible for her to continue recording an entire run of a series with one tick or will she have to pick each show/episode individually? I assume that viewing a saved program in the cloud will negate fast forwarding... bummer! She is very slow to adopt new technology and I need the transition to be easy for her or I'll regret my $1,400 yearly savings for a couple of years. :)

I'm doing my research early. I won't likely make a change until fall. DirecTV has gifted me the MLB package this year and I hate to give that up. Doing quick math, that gift is costing me $100 a month. :) I will be making a change unless I can't get the important programming my wife desires. The savings is far too much to pass up.

Thanks again for the information Danny.

Upvote 0
I believe so, mikedt...

I guessed YouTube TV was America only when I clicked on the ad. and then it demanded to know my "zip code". FAIL!!
What's Google actually trying to do here?

I do like watching YouTube though, for all my subscribed channels, some of which I've been subscribed to for probably 15 years now.

I'm wondering how long this Youtube TV will last until it's listed on killedbygoogle.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Once you record a show, it'll automatically record now, future, and past shows. Which is great because you now have the option to binge watch. And you can fast forward past the commercials. My internet is through Wide Open West (Wow) and I pay 61 a month for 1G speed.
Outstanding! That dots a bunch of I's here and crosses T's as well. AT&T is offering a gig package at $80 and a 500mbps plan for $50 a month. I'm currently paying $99 a month for sub par service. I consider 94mbps transfer rate and paying for 500mbps sub par. I read somewhere that 500mbps was over kill for a home with two people and a streaming service such as YT. I'd rather be on the more than covered side vs having any sort of glitches or stuttering in my streams. 94mbps concerns me.

Upvote 0
I just spent 31 minutes on the phone with my current internet provider. After speaking with three lower level associates, I finally got to speak with the tech guru who hung up on me. I did confirm that I have been their internet subscriber for over 35 years. Changing that address across uncountable accounts will be worse than changing my social security number. Change it I will however. Hang up on this old man who is paying double for a service he isn't receiving just severed that account.

Upvote 0

I read somewhere that 500mbps was over kill for a home with two people and a streaming service such as YT. I'd rather be on the more than covered side vs having any sort of glitches or stuttering in my streams. 94mbps concerns me.
I'd ignore all those online comments that you 'read somewhere' and instead focus on assessing your household's Internet bandwidth usage. We all have different needs and preferences on which streaming content services we're using so what's working for some anonymous user in your neighborhood, or on the other side of the planet, won't necessarily apply to your home.
These are just approximate bandwidth numbers but generally, high definition video (720p) will require 3 to 5 Mbps and ultra high definition (4K) around 15 to 24 Mbps. And that's for each stream so if there are two people in two rooms watching their own 4K videos that's cumulative, so you're going to be using up 40 Mbps or so of your total incoming broadband connection. Have a friend staying over for an extended weekend? They might be watching their own streaming content before going to bed so add that on top of your total usage. His wife is with him? Add her freakish addiction to always staying connected to her work even when on vacation. So she's always doing a Zoom/Skype/Jitsi/whatever video call. But that's only going to add 3-5 Mbps (1080p) or 1-3 Mbps (720p). Don't forget to add in a buffer for things like web surfing and other such online constants, that's only going to add 1-3 Mbps (less is typical).
Anyway, take into consideration what the total amount of bandwidth usage your household might require, and use that to gauge whether you need to upgrade or downgrade your plan with your ISP.

Upvote 0
I called AT&T the other day and with zero wait time was connected to an English speaking lady. She was very informative and made no effort to pressure me into subscribing to their service. No installation fee, no equipment rental, no contract required.
I will be forced to change my email address because my current provider refuses to release them. There is fiber in my neighborhood with multiple residences on my block using the service now. I'll be making the change. I told her I was interested in getting the 500mbps plan and was expecting that sort of speed because I was dropping DirecTV for YouTube TV because of pricing. She told me that they can provide DirecTV through their fiber if I wanted to keep the service. Naturally I asked at what price. She said their price was $87 a month and an additional $10 a month for a second receiver for the first year with additional years at no cost. As I said in my opening post, I'm currently paying $186.74 for the DirecTV. What is up with that???

I'll definitely be changing providers as soon as I get my last daughter married early next month. Next I will have to decide if I want AT&T to provide Direct TV at a huge savings or go with YouTube TV. I'm leaning toward YT after @Dannydet spoke so well of the service.

My sister and BIL are in the same boat with their provider. They are also getting cable TV from them. They too are looking to make a change. After doing their homework, AT&T and YT TV is their choice.

Upvote 0
What a rip off from your current provider!
Shame on them for charging you so much for all these years.
So ATT will be charging you X amount per month for internet only?
Then add the cost for YouTube TV?
As I said earlier once you get past the initial setup and slight learning curve, YouTube TV just works.
It offers 3 simultaneous streams at once so you should be fine if it's only you and the wife watching different shows at the same time. Don't forget you can install the app on every device you own, take it with you and watch anywhere, you're not restricted to home wifi only...

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
I had YTTV way back when it first came out/to my area and loved it, it was like $30 or 35 a month! It increased steadily over the years (who could blame them?) and I realized I didn't even watch enough to justify the cost. I now just have a few streaming services and MLB.tv, I have more than enough to watch and don't need 'full blown' TV these days. YTTV really is a great thing though, can't imagine you being disappointed, just make sure it has all the channels you watch, and watch your savings grow.

Upvote 0
What a rip off from your current provider!
Shame on them for charging you so much for all these years.
So ATT will be charging you X amount per month for internet only?
Then add the cost for YouTube TV?
As I said earlier once you get past the initial setup and slight learning curve, YouTube TV just works.
It offers 3 simultaneous streams at once so you should be fine if it's only you and the wife watching different shows at the same time. Don't forget you can install the app on every device you own, take it with you and watch anywhere, you're not restricted to home wifi only...
ATT will provide my internet at a 20-40 dollar a month savings... depending on the plan I choose
YT TV streamed will save me over $100 a month

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been ripped off for years.

Upvote 0
I had YTTV way back when it first came out/to my area and loved it, it was like $30 or 35 a month! It increased steadily over the years (who could blame them?) and I realized I didn't even watch enough to justify the cost. I now just have a few streaming services and MLB.tv, I have more than enough to watch and don't need 'full blown' TV these days. YTTV really is a great thing though, can't imagine you being disappointed, just make sure it has all the channels you watch, and watch your savings grow.
The YT channel line up is small compared to DTv but covers the majority of what we watch. I have a big question Clem. Who are you streaming the MLB from and how much?

Upvote 0
I get mlb.tv every year, I think it was around $140 for the entire season sans the division playoffs and WS because networks lol. Blackouts suck but I'm in NY watching Boston and the kid is in FL watching Atlanta So it works for us.
I have Spectrum Internet only for $80 and use Roku.

Upvote 0
Living in Kansas I get all of the Royals games with my regional sports. I don't know how that will work with YT. I was gifted the MLB package from DTv this year but the $140 a year sounds like what I paid in the past. I didn't see MLB on YT. I'll be forced to pick it up somewhere. I can't go a season just watching the Royals. :)

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones