• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone able to hold conversation via Gear S2 on non-Samsung phone?

colnago

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
Picked up the S2 today, to pair with HTC One M9, and everything from notifications, to various apps, and remote control of phone functions worked however I was not able to have a conversation via the watch. "Samsung rep" at the Best Buy was also unable to enable on his Galaxy 6 Edge.

Samsung's site states that the M9 was "tested", and supports "Calls" (although some features may not be available), but does that mean that the S2 can only manage the call (answer/reject/end), and not "hold a conversation"? Or did I just get a defective unit?

Gear S2 Compatibility

See which features are compatible with your Android™ phone running Android Version 4.4 and above, with at least 1.5GB RAM.

Samsung
Galaxy Phone
Feature Other Android Phones1

✓ Notifications ✓

✓ Calls ✓

✓ Messaging Limited2

✓ Email ✓

✓ Wi-Fi Sync Limited3

✓ Apps ✓

Phones Tested

HTC One (M8), HTC One (M9), LG G-FLEX, Motorola Nexus 6, LG OPTIMUS G2, LG OPTIMUS G3LG OPTIMUS G4, Kyocera E6560, LG G Vista, Motorola Droid Turbo

To find out more call 1‑800‑SAMSUNG.

1Compatible with select devices using Android 4.4 and later with at least 1.5GB RAM. Supported devices may vary by carrier and device. Some features may not be available. For best results, connect with compatible Samsung Galaxy devices. 2Some Android phones limited on text reply, call back from text, and read notification check from phone 3Wi-Fi profile sharing from your phone automatically to your watch may not be possible with your Android Phone.

Picked up the S2 today, to pair with HTC One M9, and everything from notifications, to various apps, and remote control of phone functions worked however I was not able to have a conversation via the watch. "Samsung rep" at the Best Buy was also unable to enable on his Galaxy 6 Edge.

Samsung's site states that the M9 was "tested", and supports "Calls" (although some features may not be available), but does that mean that the S2 can only manage the call (answer/reject/end), and not "hold a conversation"? Or did I just get a defective unit?

Any progress/word back from Samsung on this?

Upvote 0
I never called the Samsung customer support line...by I believe the call gesture is reserved for the "3G" version of the S2.

FWIW, I wound up picking up the LEMFO DM08, on amazon, for $74. Has the call feature, which is all I really wanted, for a lot less. Still, the S2 is nice. I may revisit the 3G version when available.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones