• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone with a NON-Samsung Phone Able to Try this with their Camera?

joshhumble

Mar 11, 2018
** UPDATE: ANSWER FOUND. Android 11 purposely disabled the feature to access your existing images when a live camera capture request is activated via a link or app. **

Original question:
Im trying to find out if this is specific to Samsung phones. I have an S22. When you click "Take Photo" links, it brings up a version of the camera app that does NOT give access to your gallery or existing photos.

Normally the camera app has a camera roll/gallery icon at the bottom.

Last edited:
I had a look at what I think you were trying to do. On Maps I can just select Folder and select a photo I had already taken to add to Maps - business - Photos.
If I select the Camera icon within Maps I get the same as you do. Its giving Maps access to your camera and sound, not the Camera app.
I may well have misunderstood.
Mine is a high spec 2020 Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro with the latest updates.

Upvote 0
Okay, thank you! Yes, thats the issue Im having. Guess its universal

But after I posted this i realized the google maps photo upload is within the google maps app itself, its own version of it. So its able to control it.

But even when its within the built in Samsung camera app, it does the same thing, see here. Like it depends how the camera is activated, im surprised we cant have control over it to access our gallery even when its not within a seperate app.

351054d1675819261t-how-force-camera-roll-show-up-camera-app-screenshot_20230207_131343_camera.jpg

Upvote 0
Download a different app :) Use that as the default when viewing!

You can not, the samsung camera app can not be disabled or uninstalled.

Which does not make sense because it's the phone's built in camera app. I even had a direct link sent to me to upload photos, there is no apps involved, it just automatically activated my camera from a link and I could not see the gallery icon. its like there's two different versions of the built-in camera app one that has the gallery and one that does not allow you to access it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Which does not make sense because it's the phone's built in camera app. I even had a direct link sent to me to upload photos, there is no apps involved, it just automatically activated my camera from a link and I could not see the gallery icon. its like there's two different versions of the built-in camera app one that has the gallery and one that does not allow you to access it.
Do not inbox me, okay? I am really pretty much busy all the time.

Upvote 0

I'm in the UK so I forgot this thread.
How is this affecting your use? I cannot recreate the left camera screenshot on my Camera app (non Samsung).
Are you worried something can open the camera without you instigating it?

I take it you will always see the right screenshot if you open the Camera app.

Are you saying the camera opems in error when the phone should be just downloading or displaying a photo from a link?
Do you know what action causes the left screenshot image?

I'm a bit lost, not having one. You will have noticed the regular camera screenshot has the toggle options above the button.

I hope someone with a Samsung can help, and understand better.

You can always start a new thread about the S22 Camera app now that the Maps thing has cleared up.

mine :)

Screenshot_2023-02-08-22-18-38-095_com.android.camera.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm in the UK so I forgot this thread.
How is this affecting your use? I cannot recreate the left camera screenshot on my Camera app (non Samsung).
Are you worried something can open the camera without you instigating it?

I take it you will always see the right screenshot if you open the Camera app.

Are you saying the camera opems in error when the phone should be just downloading or displaying a photo from a link?
Do you know what action causes the left screenshot image?

I'm a bit lost, not having one. You will have noticed the regular camera screenshot has the toggle options above the button.

I hope someone with a Samsung can help, and understand better.

You can always start a new thread about the S22 Camera app now that the Maps thing has cleared up.

mine :)

View attachment 165422

So sometimes there's apps or links asking you to upload a picture of something. So I was simply trying to choose an existing image to upload to a website that was requesting me to take an image of something. I wanted to use an existing one instead of a live one.

When you would click these links activating the camera, you could choose what camera app comes up, thus giving you access to your existing gallery.

I thought the issue might be specific to Samsung phones. It turns out I've since found out that Android 11 disabled the feature on purpose. So now certain camera requests will only activate the camera itself directly, and not the full camera app with gallery access.

see article here: https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/ici93p/android_11_is_taking_away_the_camera_picker/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the reason for this is that what is called in a social app or Google Maps is actually an activity of the camera app, not the whole camera app. This should be the design of data security of Android.

But apparently you used to be able to override it, trick it per se, by choosing a different camera app as the default. Pict2Cam as an example was an app that would override/redirect the built-in camera to open Pict2Cam instead and give you Gallery access. Android 11 disabled this ability.

Upvote 0
Okay, thank you! Yes, thats the issue Im having. Guess its universal

But after I posted this i realized the google maps photo upload is within the google maps app itself, its own version of it. So its able to control it.

But even when its within the built in Samsung camera app, it does the same thing, see here. Like it depends how the camera is activated, im surprised we cant have control over it to access our gallery even when its not within a seperate app.

351054d1675819261t-how-force-camera-roll-show-up-camera-app-screenshot_20230207_131343_camera.jpg

I have a Samsung Note20, but when I tried Google Maps, it didn't have the "upload photo" option, and nor does it show pictures of landmarks. It might be my location, but not sure. Normally I don't use or have Google Maps installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones